A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Few Things That Make Me Smile

I've always been the type to appreciate the little things in life. Right now, my life is a bit stressful as I navigate my last semester of graduate school, but I try to remind myself to appreciate the small stuff and remain present in my life and with the the people in it. Here are a few "small things" that bring me great pleasure.

Wistful Tunes- In high school I fell in love with the music of Iron and Wine, and I can't get enough of their soothing, folk/bluesy sounds, so I was thrilled when I found out they were releasing a new album. itunes classifies the newest album Kiss Each Other Clean as "Indie Folk," which I suppose is as close as you can get to describing it. My favorite tracks are "Walking Far From Home," which is unlike anything I've heard this band do before, "Tree by the River" and "Godless Brother in Love," which remind me of some of the best work in albums Our Endless Numbered Days and In the Reins, and "Your Fake Name is Good Enough for Me," which has a jazzy/60s/70s pop sound. Do yourself a favor and check this band out. They haven't produced a bad album (and they have a lot of albums).
Kiss Each Other CleanOur Endless Numbered DaysIn the Reins

Romantic Scents- I don't know what it is about them, but I love candles. I'm a big fan of the Tyler Candle Company, and I love the sent "Kathina," which has a Lily of the Valley/Rosie smell. One thing I love about this company is the sample sets they sell, which are not only a great deal but also make a great gift idea. Where else can you get 16 candles for $35.00? I love the relaxing atmosphere created by candlelight.


Tempting Tastes- I've always been a lover of chocolate, and right now, these Dove Chocolate Hearts that my mom sent me for Valentine's are really doing the trick for me. The best part is that by now these things have to be on sale.

Delightful Reads- Last month, I read Lydia Davis' first collection Break it Down (1986) and was blown away. Davis has been called a "magician of self-consciousness," and I find that description quite fitting. What lovely, wonderful, beautiful stories with intriguing characters and lyrical language. I was thrilled that my brother bought me her Collected Stories for Christmas. My favorite story in the collection is called "The House Plans." I ached for these characters and felt uplifted and alive when reading these stories.
Break It Down: Stories

And finally, last but certainly not least on my list...

Good Deeds- It's always great karma to do something nice for the world. This year, I will be participating in my first ever 5K, benefiting "Free to Breathe," an organization that does fundraising for lung cancer research. 100% of the proceeds this organization takes in from the 5K go to research for a cure and education about lung cancer. This is a great cause, and my goal is to raise $100.00. I'm 25% of the way there, so if you care to contribute follow the link to my page here. You can type in any amount to donate. Even $1.00 helps! Of course, there are so many organizations out there that need volunteer time, donations of money or goods, or other help, so you can find a good deed to do anywhere you go. Isn't that a nice thought?

Here's to happiness, wherever and however you find it.
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

4 comments:

  1. I would really like to do that 5K with you. That is a cause that is near and dear to my heart having lost my father to lung cancer when I was little. I looked at the website. Can we do a team, or do we have to do it as individuals since you already signed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, never mind, I just saw that you already are a team. I think I will join you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, yes we are team "M.F.A. All-Star" headed up by Vanni Thatch. Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...