A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spring Fashion For Work & Play

Well, I've been very busy and productive as of late, submitting to journals and jobs, reading and writing, teaching and cooking and living. With this beautiful 70 degree, sunny weather upon us (here in Louisiana), I'm ready to embrace spring in full force. My favorite part about the arrival of warmer weather is always the cute outfits that come with it. Last night, the McNeese M.F.A. program hosted a party for visiting poet Gary Jackson, and it was the perfect opportunity to break out my favorite picks for spring. My style criteria is to look classic and cute on a grad student budget. To make my wardrobe cost effective, I try to find pieces that I can wear to work and on the weekends, and I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores and bargain stores. I would estimate that 50% of my wardrobe consists of previously owned fashion. Hey, it's recycling. Good for the earth, and my pocketbook.

So here's the basics, I love longer silky tops like this one from Target for $14.99. By itself, it's flirty, but with a long cardigan (like this one I've had forever from American Eagle), it's easily appropriate for work. If wearing these pieces to work, I would pair them with trousers from my go-to store for work pants. I found these Levi black jeggings for $12.99 at Marshall's, and the boots I've had for at least a year now, they come from Steve Madden, and I get compliments on them all the time.

I've had several good girl friends teach me the importance of  accessorizing. I like pulling together an outfit to be pretty simple, so I stick to jewelry, handbags, and hair stuff as my finishing touches. Right now I love colorful jewelry like these turquoise pieces that Brendan got me for Valentine's day. (He has good taste). Brendan says he found these at a local Antique Store. If you are willing to spend the time to search, many affordable treasures can be uncovered. All you need is a silver jewelry polishing cloth and they look like new!









Anyone who knows me can tell you I've always had a thing for bows. I picked up this headband for $4.99 at CVS over the summer. It turns out that pharmacies often have great hair accessories, and the best part is, they are quite cheap!

Finally, no outfit is complete without a bag. I splurged on this leather one by Sabina New York in college. My roommate at the time thought I was crazy, but four years later, I'm still in love with the big buttons, the pockets a plenty, and the perfect size of this brown bag. I got a famous poet to help me show it off. Two weeks ago, he read with Rita Dove, and now he's playing rock band with my friends and helping me model handbags in Lake Charles.


Alright, I only have one more tip, but it's tried and true. When I'm drinking red wine at a party, I bring along "Ecstasy" by Smashbox lip gloss. The color perfectly disguises your red wine lip stains. If you are a lip gloss addict like me, this gift set with 6 colors for $29.00 is a bargain that will not disappoint. It also makes a great gift. See lips below for proof.
Missy and Me

 Here's to spring style! Bring on the nice weather.
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

Mother Love: PoemsMissing You, Metropolis: PoemsRock Band 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...