A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, March 26, 2011

5K Day! + Other Exciting News

Today was our big 5K for Free to Breathe! Brendan and I have never run a 5K before, so this was all new to us. We woke up to a text from Missy at 6:48am asking if we were ready yet. Our leisurely plan was to wake up at 7:00am, oops? We ate a breakfast for champions of hard boiled eggs that I made last night. I definitely felt I had the energy I needed to make it through 3.2 miles. The day was nice but muggy, and the race got off to a good start. I was excited about my fancy number bib (lucky 13) and the microchip I got to wear on my ankle to record my time. Our MFA all star team included ten people, and together, we raised $500.00 (not including the $200.00 we paid to run, which also goes to the organization's efforts to find a cure for lung cancer).

I really appreciate donations from Leslie Huling, The Diebitsch Family, Sharon Egan, and Erica McCreedy who helped me raise $100.00  and fulfill my personal fundraising goal!

I had to power walk through parts of my first 5K, but finished at 39 minutes. Brendan finished in 26 minutes. Our team captain, Vanni Thatch, placed 3rd in her age group. Overall, this was a very good experience, we got up early to exercise and raised money for a great cause. We both decided that we would do it again! Just let us know when the next 5K is.

Here is a picture of our team, the MFA All-Stars:
MFA All-Stars left to right: Nancy, Jessica, Jason, Me, Allie, Mila, Missy, Kevin, and Brendan. Front: Our team captain, Vanni.

Another first, Brendan and I are proud to announce that we will be giving our first public fiction reading:
This coming Friday, April 1st at 7:00pm
at The Porch Coffee House and Cafe
located here in Lake Charles at 4710 Common Street.
You can find an official press release here.
We will each be reading a short story, so come and enjoy some story telling and the lovely atmosphere of The Porch which serves coffee, food, and also boasts a full bar. 
If we had books, these are the pictures we would choose for our book jackets. It's good to have dreams.
Stacy Lynn Austin
Brendan Egan

We hope that you can attend!

Finally, I mailed off my 13th job application today, and I was number 13 in the 5K. Could be a sign of good things to come.

Here's to exciting news!
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...