A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sunny Days, March On!

I'm usually ecstatic when February turns to March, but right now, I'm busy as can be(e) working on my thesis (a collection of short stories), grading my first round of student essays for the semester, teaching and being a student myself, so I don't have time to enjoy the outdoors nearly as much as I'd love to. Still, Spring is a time that makes me excited to dream big and think colorful, so I wanted to write a quick post of all my Springy ideas.

Wild at Heart (Gifford, Barry)First of all, we just finished reading Wild At Heart by Barry Gifford in my contemporary novel class. I absolutely love Lula Pace Fortune, and sort of wish that was my name. The book follows her relationship with boyfriend Sailor while they are on the run from Lula's controlling mother. This is a nostalgic tale of escapism that makes me want to get out on the open road with only some cash, a dream, a convertible (hey, I said dream, right?) and Brendan of course. There wasn't a character in this novel that I wasn't fascinated by, and add to that it's a quick and joyous read at 160 pages. This book had me laughing out loud and also feeling true moments of sadness for these characters who reflect back on their not so perfect lives. Sailor and Lula travel across the south and the book is set in and mentions many places that have been central to my life (Austin, Lake Charles, San Angelo). I'm on board with this travel narrative and suggest you take it to the pool or wherever you may find yourself on these sunny days. (Forgive me if you're in the north, it's 73 degrees and sunny here now).

Speaking of the pool, Lula's yellow one-piece and the recent arrival of a Victoria's Secret swimwear catalog at my house inspired me to start thinking about what I'd wear to the beach. I've been lucky to visit all sorts of beaches during my grad school years, Surf City, NC and Tybee Island, GA. For this May, my mom is planning a trip to Gulf Shores, AL. I'd love a little polka dot bikini like this one to bring along. I like to think Lula would approve of this retro yellow one-piece for modcloth.com.

One more thing I would nab for spring if I wasn't poor? One of these adorable necklaces from an etsy store that I found the other day. Don't you just love these vintage charms? What a great gift idea...on second thought, I might have to nab one of these for myself!

Well in reality, my house is a mess and I have a ton to do, but in my dreams I'm all Wild At Heart, wearing a retro swimsuit and some vintage jewelry. Oh yeah, and my name is Lula.

Here's to Spring dreams!
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...