A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fun, Feminine, Floral Fashion

I recently went on a shopping trip with Missy to Beaumont, TX (yes, our mall here in Lake Charles leaves something to be desired) and scored some new pieces for my spring/summer wardrobe at great prices. Missy noticed that everything I bought had a floral print, and we were laughing about this as Missy is not into flowery prints. My style may be a bit "grandma chic," but I'm out to prove that floral can be a fun and contemporary addition to any gal's warm weather wardrobe. Here's my week of flower power, in which I wore floral print on all my adventures. I hope you enjoy these colorful, pretty outfits as much as I do!

Monday
What I'm doing today: Teaching, being a student, and dinner out at a casual restaurant with Brendan. My outfit needs to be professional, comfortable for my 9-5 day, and casual enough for after work.

I love the big floral print that contrasts with the stripey pattern in this dress from Pacific Sunwear ($40). I paired it with a coral colored cardigan from Forever XXI ($15), a belt I scored a few years ago at a thrift store in Austin, black ballet flats I picked up last year at Payless, rose necklace from James Avery, and bracelet from Brendan's antique store find.

I put my hair in a low bun and added these cute bobby pins from Claire's (2 for $4) for a fancy, floral touch.

Tuesday 
What I'm doing today: defending my thesis and being a student. It's another long day at school and I need to be comfortable and put together. 

 This light, flowery skirt reminds me of my days in ballet classes. I found it at Forever XXI on sale for just $7! I tucked it into a gray v-neck tee (also Forever XXI, $5) and a three quarter sleeve off-white cardigan I picked up at Marshall's (Originally by American Eagle Outfitters).  My basic bowed ballet flats, pearl necklace, and tiger eye ring added a sweet touch.

Don't be afraid to mix patterns. I added this leopard print bow ($3 at 5-7-9) in my hair for a bit of a playful touch.
Wednesday
What I'm doing today: Teaching, then going out to lunch, a big shopping trip to Walmart to prepare for Old Settler's Music Festival and dinner with friends. I need to stay cool in the heat and comfortable on my feet!
I paired this adorable floral pattern dress from Forever XXI ($15.00-a steal!) with low leopard print heels and some antique chic jewelry. 

I also added an adorable flower clip from Claire's (4.00) to an upper messy bun to keep the hair off my face (I love the little fake pearl embellishments in the center of the clip).

Thursday
What I'm doing today: Conferencing with students and then leaving town for Houston for an interview Friday (then from there to Old Settler's Music Festival).
Well, Lola certainly liked it.
The same  leopard shoes and coral cardigan paired with skinny jeans by Seven for all Mankind (thrift store bargain of long ago) and a new flowery knit top ($18.00-Forever XXI). I dressed it up with pearls and the same Claire's flower bobby pins from Monday.


Friday
What I'm doing today: I had an interview this morning, but don't worry this isn't what I wore. After the interview, Brendan and I visited my grandma in the hospital and I changed into this comfortable outfit to make traveling more cozy.



Even Mimi approved (I said Grandma chic after all) of these floral shorts ($15.00 at Forever XXI) my friend Will describes as "Grandma meets the 1980s." Well, they made my first day of camping cool and pleasant, especially when I tucked them into this causal v-neck (Also Forever XXI, $5.00). Pearls and flip-flops might not match, but sometimes anything goes!

Oh a much more serious note, I can't help but comment on the death of Jeanne Leiby, who was the editor of The Southern Review (the poster you see in the background of some of these photos) and the writer the short story collections Downriver, a book I still read over and over when I need some writing inspiration. Jeanne visited McNeese in 2008 as a visiting writer. She gave honest feedback and I admired her a lot, even getting her to autograph The Southern Review poster (she was the first female editor of the journal) that I now have framed in my house. My thoughts are with her family, friends, and students at Louisiana State University. I know she will be deeply missed.

I look forward to telling you about Old Settler's Music Festival and all of the musicians that I discovered, as well as Graham's safe return from India today. For now, I am signing off after a long day.

Here's to inspiration, in all the forms you find it in.
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe
Downriver

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...