A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer Reading

Remember being in high school and everyone complaining about their summer reading? I was the kid that secretly loved it. I even still remember a couple of our summer assignments:
 Lord of the FliesThe Grapes of Wrath (Penguin Classics)
I continue to be so thankful for the English program at my old high school. We read so many wonderful novels, short stories, poems, and plays, and doing so fostered, for me, a total and complete love of literature that has stayed with me.

Anyway, every summer, I try my best to structure myself a summer reading list (last years was dedicated to catching up on things I should have already read, specifically from the Woman's Literature cannon.
Pride And PrejudiceThe Bell Jar

So this summer, my goals are a bit different. I want more exposure to literary magazines, which I'll pick my way through piece by piece. One thing I love about journals is that you can start reading a poem/short story, and if it isn't for you, you don't have to finish it. Journals are perfect to read right before bed, because you can start and finish something in twenty minutes or less. They also expose you to new voices. I have some novels that I have been needing to read for way too long, and some books of poetry too. Some of my list I have already started on, others I have yet to approach. Either way, I can't give you much insight into them, but if you feel so inclined, you should read with me this summer. Think of it as your own summer book club, only without the cheese and crackers (I encourage you to buy wine on your own...reading and wine drinking go hand in hand).
Summer 2011 Reading
I need a bigger coffee table
Don't worry, I'll pick this apart for you. First, several journals (to find out how to subscribe, click on the link): Hayden's Ferry Review, Bellevue Literary Review,  American Short Fiction, Southern Indiana Review, and The Florida Review (subscribe via Amazon). Then, a novel Tiny Clubs by one of our visiting writers Geoff Wyss, whose prose seems pretty unbeatable. A journal that features solely fiction, Electric Literature, I've read most of this issue (4) and it's great (especially the first story)...right now they have discounted subscriptions too. Then, wonderful Brendan's M.F.A. thesis Identity and Other Thefts (we ordered books to give to our family and friends), which I've already read in pieces, but want to read as a whole. Up next, three collections of poetry. Missing You Metropolis combines superheroes and poetry and Gary Jackson is just awesome, Beautiful Trouble is by Amy Fleury, the poetry director of McNeese's program, and is stellar. Finally Why the House is Made of Gingerbread is Ava Haymon's book that I had to wait a year to get ahold of after she read from it before it was for sale...it's a take on Hansel and Gretel that's really magical.

Missing You, Metropolis: PoemsBeautiful Trouble (Crab Orchard Award Series in Poetry)Why the House Is Made of Gingerbread: Poems

Finally, I have some novels. The Girl Who Fell From the Sky, recommended by Brendan's aunt. One Hundred Years of Solitude and Their Eyes Were Watching God, both of which I have wanted to read FOREVER. What is the What, which I have almost finished is a devastating story about the war in Sudan. And finally, Slaughterhouse-Five, I know it's insane that I haven't read this, please don't freak out, I started last night!
The Girl Who Fell from the SkyOne Hundred Years of Solitude (P.S.)Their Eyes Were Watching GodWhat Is the What (Vintage)Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel

I have my work cut out for me...and bound.        



Well, I hope you will be inspired to read with me, or to form your own summer reading list. If you do, please take a picture and post as a comment. I'd love to see what's on your lists.

Happy reading!
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...