A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer Time and the Sipping is Easy

I love all things cold: ice cream, frozen margaritas and daiquiris, snow cones, smoothies, slushes, gelato, ices, sorbets...I'm always inventing some kind of excuse for why I need these things, and the best excuse ever: it's really hot outside!

Here are two drinks that are sure to give you summer sippin' satisfaction:

The first is called a "Green Monster Smoothie." My friend and sometimes workout buddy Jessica made this for me after I endured a 2-mile run in the 99 degree heat last week. Jessica is a strong runner and I am always thankful for her patience with me! Jessica first found this recipe on one of her favorite blogs, Healthy Tipping Point, which I also read. Jessica changed the recipe I tried a bit by substituting regular milk for almond milk and adding peanut butter. Here is her delicious version that I enjoyed, a quick/easy recipe.

1 cup milk (or almond milk)
1 frozen banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 cup spinach (or more)

Blend it all together until smooth. Yum!  I was skeptical of the spinach at first, but it was love at first sip. It's also a great post workout snack because of the protein. An added bonus? Jessica swears when she was drinking this everyday, she saw a clear difference in the softness and brightness of her skin. Sign me up!

Jessica after our workout with delicious Green Monster Smoothies.
The next recipe is a mixed drink that Brendan made for me. I call it Electric Lemonade and it's so so simple. Mix equal parts Lemonade (we like Simply Lemonade brand) and sparkling water with 1 shot vodka. Serve with a lemon wedge and ice cubes. The perfect drink to serve at a girl's night or an outdoor summer cocktail party. It's sweet but not too sweet and ultra refreshing!
Electric Lemonade...adorable colored/reusable ice cubes sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond
Here's to sweet, satisfying summer sippin'!
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

P.S.- Please take a minute to vote in our poll to the left side of the blog...16 days left to vote and we only have 6 votes so far!  thanks- S.L.Z.

4 comments:

  1. Stacy isn't fond of it, but I like a zip or two of ground ginger in the lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that berries are in season, I like to throw them into my green monsters for some extra antioxidants and flavor. Also, any kind of nut butter will do; I prefer almond most days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the Green Monsters work as breakfast or just as a snack?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, absolutely would be good for breakfast. A very good start to your day...protein, calcium, vitamins, veggies, fruit...sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...