A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, July 16, 2011

2nd 5K Day

Good morning! Brendan and I woke up at 6:30 am to get ready for the Caleb 5K. This run honors the life of Caleb Koke, a 16 year-old Austinite, who died two years ago in a car accident. All the money from the 5K (last year's raised $18,192-I'll let you know this year's amount when I can) goes to help Children in the Texas foster care system. Brendan and I were excited to participate and run for a good cause. Though we were doing good on training last week, a week of traveling this week for unforeseen interviews meant we hadn't practiced this last week. However, considering it is July in Austin, TX and that most of the race was on an uphill incline (the last mile being steadily uphill the whole time), we did great! Brendan finished 3rd in his age group (out of 20 runners) and ran 8.16 min/miles (wow!) He finished in 25 min./30 sec. I finished 21st in my age group (out of 35 runners) and ran 12.29 min/miles (I was faster until that last uphill one, I swear). I finished in 38 min/57 sec. (a tad bit faster than my last 5K). Better yet, I managed to run 2.5 miles without stopping to walk, and only slowed down for a few 30 sec increments when I saw someone next to me throw up (gross I know, sorry) and started feeling pretty light headed and chilled myself.

All in all, we had a good time and we'd definitely do another 5K again. It feels good to try hard at something, even when you aren't the best at it, and running definitely makes me appreciate my body and what it can do in new ways. It's also nice to do these events together because I definitely feel encouraged by Brendan. At the second mile, I could see him about 1/4 of a mile ahead of me, and I was trying really hard to catch up! No luck though, he's super fast.

Team Us :)
 I hope whatever you do with your weekend, you have a good time.

Here's to continuing to keep going, even when the going gets tough uphill.
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe

EDIT: This event raised nearly $20,000, ALRIGHT! 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...