Last night, my mom and I threw together this Tasty Mexican Salad. (I know, we ate Mexican salad on 4th of July, but stay with me). This was delicious, simple and fast, and would be the perfect solution of what to bring to your next summer BBQ. Also, it is vegetarian and with one simple substitution, easily vegan. This recipe will make about 4 dinner sized servings, double if you want more (makes about 8-10 small potluck party servings). Ready...set...make it!
- Put 5 big handfuls of spring mix lettuce in a large bowl
- Cut 2 large handfuls of cherry tomatoes in half, add to bowl
- Dice 1/2 of a yellow onion, add to bowl
- Slice 1 avocado, add to bowl
- Add 2 large handfuls of Original Fritos chips (yes, they make the Accidentally Vegan list)
- Add one regular can of chili beans or pinto beans (your choice)
- Chop a bit of cilantro to taste and add it in
- Top with a bit of shredded Mexican cheese and Kraft Reduced Fat Catalina Dressing (yes, it's vegan too)
- Add a dash of salt and pepper and toss the salad
|Tasty Mexican Salad|
Deliciousness Factor: 4.5 out of 5 stars. I love the mix of all the flavors and the beautiful and colorful presentation. Brendan isn't feeling creative today, he says, "it's delicious."
Now for my second pick, if you live in Austin, I highly recommend treating yourself to some theater by checking out Hyde Park Theatre's The Good Thief. It is a twisted and dark (very dark) comedy and one man show starring Ken Webster at his best. Brendan, my mom and I were treated to a preview of this show on Sunday and we all loved it. Again, Hyde Park delivers a show that is simultaneously laugh out loud funny, sad, and so thought provoking. The Good Thief by Conner McPherson is about an Irish thug for whom one "job" goes terribly wrong, altering his life forever. A couple of added bonuses? Every Thursday is "Pay what you can," allowing you to pick your own price. And, at a running time of 1 hour, 5 minutes with no intermission this is the perfect show to see with a friend or date. Grab a drink at the Parlor afterwards and you'll have plenty of time to hang out before calling it a night. You can thank me for this idea later.
The Good Thief by Conner McPherson, Featuring Ken Webster
Hyde Park Theatre, 511 W. 43rd St., Austin, TX
July 7th-Aug. 6th 2011. Thurs-Sat at 8pm
Thurs. Pay what you can
Fri-Sat $19.00 ($17.00-students, seniors, ACOT members).
Tickets at (512) 479-PLAY or buy online
Here's to expanding your horizons!
<3 Stacy, Lola & Zoe