A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Thursday, September 1, 2011

On Taking Care of Each Other

Moving to a new place is always stressful, but having someone to share the experience with makes it easier to deal with and even fun.  Tomorrow, it will be 2 weeks since we moved to Midland, and it still feels brand new to me, or as if I don't really "live" here unless I stop and think about it. I don't know at what point a relocation starts to feel normal, but I am starting to really enjoy it here.

The apartment definitely feels like "our place," and I love waking up here. The first week of teaching is going well so far, though it's always more work than you remember! Every other night, we take a trip to H.E.B., the huge warehouse size grocery store here, and cook dinner together. More and more, I feel like this is the place I'm supposed to be, and my homesickness (for Grad School/Lake Charles/Austin/not really sure?) is fading. We didn't pay to hook up cable, so I spend my nights preparing for teaching, reading, or writing. I love our office, and spend a lot of time in here with only the sound of the clock. We have met some new friends, and have plans with them this weekend again to go out for dinner and drinks. I am grateful for meeting new people! I have always been in school and had built in social groups, so having people we enjoy spending time with here makes the transition that much better. We both enjoy the apartment swimming pool, and love to go relax there for an hour or two. Lola and Zoe are settling in, though Lola escaped yesterday and made it to the first floor, which was super stressful. The door was left open a crack while I was getting some things to hand out to my class, and she slipped out, but luckily, I caught her and she hasn't tried that again. It's amazing how much my pets make me feel at home.

We've discovered some fun things here: good restaurants, an amazing library at Midland College, a HUGE antique mall, a vegetarian cafe, health food stores, and I even found a yoga studio. The older I get, the more I realize that it's not really where you are that matters, but who you're with. I think I can adjust to almost any place, the trick is making myself feel at home, and being with Brendan definitely makes me feel that way. We go out of our way to take care of each other. The other night, I made Brendan Vegetarian Chili while he prepared for his lit. class, and last night, when I came home from my night class, Brendan had bought me flowers and cooked an amazing couscous dish with eggs (eggs are a joke of ours-long story!)
 It was so nice to come home and see him, and I thought it was the sweetest thing. It reminded me that even though this place is still new to both of us, we're familiar to each other, and that is worth a lot.

<3 S, B, L&Z


P.S.-Here are some pictures of those cats, wouldn't you love to trade places somedays?
P.P.S- PANK has a new fan page on Facebook, please go "like" them and you will be totally up to date on my publication in October. Also, they are an awesome literary magazine, and you can read so many great poems and short stories, for free even!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...