A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Quick Travel Tip: Hair Conditioner Substitute

I just returned from Hot Springs, Arkansas last night, where I was participating in the SCMLA conference. I attended two readings (poetry by John Wood, and fiction by Alex Taylor and Jim Drummond), and attended conference sessions. I gave a presentation on Tim Burton's film Sweeney Todd  in the Gothic session that went well (if you haven't watched this movie, you need to!), and I also served as secretary of two sessions and participated in a mock interview and round table discussion about the quest for full time jobs.

Needless to say, I was so happy to see Brendan last night and to sleep in this morning. Conferencing is very tiring, but it was good to see some familiar faces from McNeese. Also, my mom came along with me to Arkansas, so it was a real treat to catch up with her.

Anyway, I wanted to share a quick travel tip. My hotel in Hot Springs, despite being a fancy hotel with a nice restaurant/bar, spa, and valet parking, lacked one thing: conditioner. Having long, fine, easily tangled hair, I was worried my shower would turn into my own version of a Halloween nightmare, leaving me with tangles before my interview. I improvised and used hand lotion as a hair conditioner substitute. The result? My hair felt semi easy to comb and was soft all day. It didn't work as well as conditioner, but it did the trick for this situation where I was in a bit of a pinch. For best results, comb hair before the shower and while you're still in the shower. Don't over do it, and just like regular conditioner, focus more on your ends than your roots.

And now, before I sign out, here are some pictures from beautiful Arkansas to enjoy. We lucked out and had nice (and chilly) fall weather.
my mom!
I cannot believe October is coming to an end! I won't be doing anything special for Halloween, as Brendan is teaching until 10pm. But Maybe we'll watch some Twin Peaks! I look forward to telling you about the books I read this month. Until next time...

Here's to hoping your Halloween is happy and safe!
<3 S, L&Z

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures--looks pretty. I miss the trees in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...