A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, December 2, 2011

Book I Read in November

This post sounds really lame. I'm not sure what happened to November. I know it involved a lot of grading and traveling to Atlanta and Washington, D.C., perhaps that is why I only finished one book. At least it was a good read!

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein



This novel tells the story of one man's decade through the eyes of his dog. Denny, his wife Eve, and daughter Zoe suffer some pretty terrible circumstances and wondering what would happen to them kept me reading. I thought Enzo's doggy point of view was very funny at times, and at other times I felt frustrated by the limited access/detail he could give me. Overall, Enzo's life philosophies are mostly refreshing and I felt an emotional connection to him and his owners. The metaphor for race car driving as life felt a little bit cliche or overwrought, but at times, those sections were surprisingly insightful. I think pet lovers especially will enjoy this. This is an easy, swift read, and very approachable, anyone could pick it up and finish it in a week. To me, it really is more a book about one man's compelling battle to maintain his life when it falls apart. It might be the story of suburban hardship, but as everyone knows, I'm all for that. If you have a relative that would like an engaging book for a vacation or plane ride, consider The Art of Racing in the Rain as a gift or stocking stuffer!

It is the weekend for me! Think I'm going to enjoy a hot cup of tea and watch a movie with Lola cuddled up next to me. Brendan is doing some committee work, but hopefully, he can join us soon. We'll be decorating for Christmas this weekend, and I also look forward to telling you about that and what I bought myself for Christmas this year (you know I had to). Also, stay tuned this December for easy ideas about how to give to others during the holidays and my thoughts on dominating my fantasy football league (I'm now #2 out of 12 folks!)

Happy weekend,
<3 S, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...