A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How to Kick the Winter Blues

Oh the winter blues, they really get me bad, and I don't even live somewhere that cold. When I lived in New York, I had to resort to some indoor tanning to keep my spirits up. I hope my skin has forgiven me, as I haven't tanned in a bed in 5 years. This is how I've been attempting to keep my spirits up:

Eat Healthy
I've lost 3.5 pounds in the last couple of weeks by trying to make healthy food choices. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 2 small snacks each day. I went a week without drinking alcohol and then started allowing myself a glass of wine at night if I want. I try to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet. I pay attention to my water intake, and aim for 8 glasses a day. The better I eat, the better I feel, and losing some extra pounds is good for my psyche, especially after eating whatever I wanted over winter break. My favorite foods: Grapefruit with eggs or cottage cheese in the morning, a few almonds, raspberries, and laughing cow cheese or apple with some peanut butter for snack, Amy's frozen meals for lunch at school, and stir fry with tofu and veggies and a salad whipped up by Brendan and I for dinner.

Get Moving 
My one pair of sweatpants has gotten a lot of use lately. Brendan and I have started taking walks together several times a week. Walking is a favorite activity for ours, and really the way we fell in love (aw). We aim to run a 5K in February, so we better get running soon too. I've also been doing quite a bit of yoga and pilates. The activity has been giving me feel good endorphins. It also encourages me to be social and serves as motivation to get out of bed early on the weekends.

Rise and No Seriously, Rise
I've attempted to curve sleeping in super late on weekends, unless I'm staying up super late at night. Waking up and seizing the day lets me get more accomplished and makes me feel better about my day. Also, when you wake up at 6:30am on some weekdays, sleeping until 8am is sleeping in. Win/win.

See Your Friends 
I feel lucky to have several friends in Midland to go grab lunch or coffee with. They have made adjusting to the desert much easier, and I'm thankful to each of them and what they bring to my life. We also took a trip to Lubbock, TX to see some old friends, the Shews, this past weekend. As always, it was great to see them, and we got out in Lubbock and explored the city. We played board games, went to a winery, cooked Indian and Thai food, and visited museums. Being around people you like is probably one of the most uplifting things you can do, so make sure to do that.
At the Buddy Holly Museum 
The sort of anti-climatic Prairie Dog Town 
Focus on Spring 
Spring is only 49 days away. Instead of thinking how much work lies ahead, think of how much progress you will make by then. It is all about perspective! Setting goals that you want to achieve by Spring is an easy way to make winter feel productive. Each day, pick something you want to get done (not something you have to do) in your personal life and do it. Today, my simple personal goals are to attend yoga and Pilates and to call my brother. It's important to dictate parts of your own day instead of letting the routine (work, come home, cook dinner, clean up, watch TV, sleep) take over for you.

We hope you keep your spirits up this winter,
<3 S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...