A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book I Read in February

I'm so excited to tell you about February's book

Year of the Flood
By Margaret Atwood


The Year of the Flood is the sequel to Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, which I read in high school and loved. Most people know I'm a huge Margaret Atwood fan, in fact, I would cite her as my favorite author of all time (too bad I have to miss her at this year's AWP), so it isn't a huge surprise that I loved Year of the Flood. I'm thankful this is going to be a trilogy, because I can hardly wait to get back to these characters! The cool thing about these books is, you don't have to read them in any particular order. There is no reason you cannot start with Year of the Flood and then move on to Oryx and Crake (I just started my second reading of Oryx and Crake). In fact, I kind of recommend doing that because Year of the Flood reads like a prequel. The novel is speculative fiction (much like Atwood's Handmaid's Tale). It takes place in the not so distance future. The world is polluted, many animals are extinct, and the middle class has disappeared. People are either wealthy (those that work for the government) and live in secluded private compounds where everything is provided and standardized (housing, schools, etc), or people are poor and live on the streets, which are overcome with corruption, recreational drug use, and prostitution. The wealthy have access to spas that perform routine plastic surgery. No one in the upper class has to worry about dying early, because science has progressed to the point that organs suitable for human transplant can be grown inside of pigs (pigoons, they're called because they are pigs with human cells and tissues). Those who are not well off, however, have to adapt to some pretty extreme circumstances in order to survive. There are also cults of environmentalists, who attempt to live off the land secluded from everyone else. The book spans a period of 25 years, and the 25th year is, you guessed it, the year of the flood (I'm not giving anything away-it's obvious from the beginning). The flood is actually a disease that kills off the majority of the population, and those that are left must fight for their lives. The Year of the Flood is fascinating, emotional, and riveting. This is everything I've come to expect from Margaret Atwood and more. I'll have to let you know how Oryx and Crake reads in comparison, it has been too long to give a fair review, so you'll have to wait for Book I Read in March. However, I can tell you Oryx and Crake takes place after the "flood."

I now have a book reviews page. If you are interested in reading more book reviews, please click here.

We are STILL looking for questions for our next edition of He Said/She Said Relationship Advice. Please email us!

Happy Reading!

<3 S, B, L&Z

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...