A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Thursday, April 19, 2012

8 months in Midland

Well, we've lived 2/3s of a year in the desert!

In case you're behind: why we're here, thoughts from 1 month, thoughts from 3 months, and on living together for 6 months.

 It's hard to believe how fast time is passing; we're almost done with our first year of teaching here. I really am starting to feel at home in Midland. What I've learned from this experience is that having the person you love most with you can make anywhere feel like home. There are things that I do find totally surprising about this place though. One is the rising cost of living! Our apartment rent will increase over 40% next year, so we're already thinking about alternative living situations for the fall. Why is Midland, a small town of 100,000 people, so "in demand"? One word: Oil. It is everywhere and people are coming from everywhere to profit off of it. We just have no idea what is in store for us in a few aspects, and part of my experience this year has been learning how to "just go with it." I'm such a natural planner at heart, but I'm really working on accepting that life beyond school entails having a lack of control over a lot. But so far, I'm still surviving! Part of the reason is because I've made so many good friends here. I'm 100% grateful for that, as I've always heard making friends outside of a school environment is difficult. For me, it just kinda worked out:

Girl's night or Wine night? :) 
Love the faces here, not sure what's going on! 
 I need pictures of Jennifer, Amanda, and Heather too, sorry ladies :) It also helps to have our friends the Shews nearby and to be close to my family in San Angelo, TX.

The Shews-it was either this one or Michael closing his eyes

My little cousins and their friend (who I used to babysit for)-they're all so grown up, it's crazy! 
I've even been able to involve myself in the community here. I was in a Posh Pony fashion show today to benefit the women and children's shelter here in Midland. Here's me in one of my outfits:
Of course I had to buy this dress, thank you modeling discount :) 
Other good things: No matter how far you are, your family will still come see you!


Other observations: the other day I was thinking, "wow, spring in Midland is really nice," and then today it was 95 degrees. Feels like summer already. Glad our lease does not end until August, so at least we'll get to enjoy this:

I'll try to enjoy it all!
<3 S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...