A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, May 28, 2012

Yep, This is Home

We were in Austin for a little over two weeks, but it feels like we haven't been home in forever, especially with all the exciting things that have happened lately. In the last two weeks, I finished the in-class portion of a course I am taking, taught 2 weeks of a course I'm teaching (almost done!), got engaged, and made significant wedding planning progress. For me, summer is the ideal time to plan, since I start my new job August 13th, and by next summer, the wedding will be...well only a few weeks away! Planning mode is a predominate feature of my personality, and I couldn't be more excited about marrying my best friend, so I'm pretty much in heaven. That said, when we arrived home, I felt a total flood of relief to be back to life as "normal." True, our normal is still pretty hectic, but it's life as we know it.

We still have a few more days of teaching online, but June 1st is what I am considering my official start of summer date. I have BIG plans for summer 2012: namely, write a novel. I'm actually not kidding. I have carved aside 6 weeks for myself of the summer, and with discipline and dedication, I hope to get a first draft down. Have I done this before? Absolutely not. But I know how to do it. In theory. We shall see. Other goals (as if writing a novel isn't enough): see friends and family and workout. Brendan and I both feel we've been lazy with exercise lately, and we're going to make an effort to change that. Of course, we also have our big Northeast trip planned for July 18-August 11, so there will definitely be relaxing this summer. And even though I do want to accomplish work, summer will still be a vacation for me. It's a vacation from the norm of what we usually do, and already, I can feel myself decompressing from the insanity that has been May.

The cats are decompressing too from the long drive. It's funny how quickly a place can become home. I missed it here, and it feels good to be in our own space again. Come what may this summer, this place is home. When we moved here, I didn't know if it would feel that way, but it does. I feel that we have many homes, but this is just the one we've made for ourselves all on our own.

I'd like to say I'm going to bed, but there is still work to be done!
<3 from a sleepy S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...