A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, June 29, 2012

26! & Birthday Donation Time

My 25th year has officially come to an end, and today, I am giving thanks for it. 25 was very good to me. I moved to west Texas with Brendan, and it was my first year outside of being a college or graduate student. I was a full time adjunct, and the experience taught me many valuable life lessons that I will always remember. 25 is also the year I saw my first publication. It is the year I landed my first full time, salaried position. I will always remember 25 as the year I moved in with my best friend and we became engaged.

The year was not without challenges, but overall, the year was full of very positive experiences. I traveled to Connecticut, Maine, further west Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Washington, D.C., California, Florida, Big Bend, and Louisiana (twice). The more I see of this beautiful country, the more in awe I am of it.

In my 26th year, I hope to continue to see and experience new things. I will strive to write more, to be in good health, and to be the best teacher I can be. I will work on being a great partner and a great friend. I will continue reading, learning, and looking for opportunities to do good in the world. I feel ambitious and hopeful.

To start my year off on a positive note, I began to look for a charity to donate my birthday too. I explain the concept of Donate Your Birthday here. Essentially, you give your age in dollars to an organization of your choice. I also tell others about the organization and why I picked it.

What was something that defined my 25th year? I realized it was work. For the first time, I wasn't a student anymore, and I saw the importance that having a job, something that felt meaningful, played in my life and in my identity as an individual. Our economy is in a difficult place right now, and I think all people should have the experience of being able to work. My charity of choice, Dress for Success-of Houston helps disadvantaged women find careers, provides them with a wardrobe for interviews and work, and helps provide job retention programs, financial literacy workshops, and access to book clubs and wellness programs.

Dress for Success is also a national organization that helps women around the world. Last year, the Houston chapter helped over 4,785 women. Click here to find out how you can help this charity. They have 4 out of 4 stars on Charity Navigator (always research a charity to see where the money is truly going).

Want to Donate your Birthday? It's easy just...

1. Research a charity that needs your help and is reputable.
2. Donate your age in dollars.
3. Tell your friends about why you choose your charity and invite them to join you if they so desire.

Also, read about my charity from last year as well, Doctor's Without Borders, another truly worthy cause.

Ringing in my/our 26th year (with friend, Corley, born 8 days after me):
Friends for 11 years now :)
Pondering wishes
Making said wishes

Corley testing the icing :)
Here's to birthdays, however you celebrate them. I am looking forward to another year, whatever it has to bring. This moment is life!



<3 S, B, L&Z



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...