A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Engagement Gifts

First of all, happy Father's day to all you Dads out there. Here is a piece I wrote for my Dad last year. I also have a future father-in-law this year, so happy Father's day to both Tom and Tim!

Here in the desert, we're just being lazy today. I wanted to share some pictures of the engagement gifts I gave Brendan. Did you know it is customary to give your husband-to-be an engagement present? While I didn't think I could find anything as grand as the ring he gave me, it's the thought that counts, right?

It was hard to find just the right thing. I wanted something that would be really personal and also something that Brendan would like. I found a photographer in Lubbock (while visiting my friend Em) that made these...my friend Erica once gave me one of these with my initials, so I knew what they were. Brendan loves photography, and even better, I was able to pick each picture from a selection of 50+ photos for each letter. It was a project, but I felt like it came out really nicely. The E is reminiscent of old signs, which Brendan loves. The G is the end of a park bench, which felt so fitting because we fell in love taking walks to different parks in Lake Charles. The A and N are bits of fence post (behind the N there is a deer, but you can't see it so well in this picture) that remind me of Midland, where we live now. I had the photographer frame it in a basic black mat and frame; Brendan says he loves it. I also wrote him a sweet note about how I'm so excited that we're going to be a family.

Sorry for the ceiling fan reflection, we've already hung it in the living room. 
Some people have asked me if I'm taking his last name. This is a personal decision for every woman, but I decided I will change my name. My maiden name will become my new middle name (I believe, legally, in Texas, I can only have 3 names, so my current middle name will be legally dropped, but of course, I'll never forget it!) I'll still feel very connected to my family and my identity (plus, to me, identity is how you think of yourself, a very personal/non-tangible idea). By keeping my maiden name in the middle, I really feel I will have the best of both worlds. I haven't decided if I will continue to publish under my maiden name, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there (and hopefully, I'll get there). To me, changing my name just feels right. Brendan honestly has no preference either way, and I made the decision on my own. I don't even remember a big discussion.

I've always loved monograms, so taking his last name has definitely given me an all new excuse to have fun with personalization. I tried not to go too overboard with it on the registries. As a little addition to Brendan's engagement present, I made these wine glass charms:

E is for Egan :) 
I was quite proud of my creativeness, and Brendan liked them too. So, there you have it, his engagement gifts. Did you get your future husband an engagement pressent?

Happy day & happy Father's day!
<3 S, B, L&Z

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...