A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, August 17, 2012

Book I Read in July



Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

This book was one of several birthday presents from Bren, who knows that I harbor my own dreams of one day writing YA (and I love sci-fi, though I don't write it). This is one of those books I had been wondering about for years, but just never got around to purchasing for myself. Uglies seemed like the perfect novel for me. It's one of those books that the premise is so good, I could just sit around and think about the concept for days. Uglies is a fast read, but I wouldn't call it "smart YA" like Julianna Baggott's Pure or the Harry Potter series, etc. In the end, I found it predictable, and the characters were hard to side with at times, because they come from such a superficial society, they sound like whiney teenagers (which, I get it, is probably the target audience here). In the end, I won't be reading the sequels, but I think a young teen or pre-teen would very much enjoy this book (I am basing that on my experience, plus the fact that the book, and sequels, are all well rated on Amazon). It's essentially about a society where citizens are controlled by the promise of cosmetic surgery on their 16th birthday. The government delivers, but gives a lot more than people bargained for. The movie based on the book is listed as "in development" on IMDB. I could see this trilogy making for a good film, in the style of the Hunger Games. And if it is a film, I'll be glad I read the book first.

As you can see, I didn't get much reading accomplished in July, but I'm reading a great August book to review in early September. Stay tuned and forgive this month's book review delay!

Happy page turning!
<3 S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...