A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Thursday, September 13, 2012

5 Things It's A-Okay to Spend Your Money On

Ah budgeting! It's definitely something we talk a lot about here at Lola & Zoe. But while saving is important, we all are making money to spend it somehow. 

Here are five things it's okay to splurge on, so go ahead, you have permission. 

1.) Healthy Food 

Everyone knows you feel about 1,000 times better when you're eating right, so go ahead, splurge on fresh salad, healthy produce, nuts, vitamins, and healthy snacks to go. Your body will thank you, and not only will you feel better, but you'll be able to perform better at your job. You can especially justify this splurge if you're willing to cut back on eating out, which is something Brendan and I definitely aim to do. 

2.) Exercise 

I spend $10 per class on yoga sessions I love. While it may seem extravagant to spend such money on exercise classes, I never regret going to one. Yoga helps me stay fit, strong, and flexible, but also helps me relax and unwind at the end of a long day. Plus, I practice with friends, so it's an added bonus. To keep other fitness costs minimum, I do normal working out at work, where my gym membership is free. So, if your employer offers such freebies, take advantage, then, pay for the added classes you want. 

3.) A Cleaning Service 

If you're in a dual income family, I think cleaning services are a smart investment. With both Brendan and I working full time, the time we have together is precious. We don't really want to spend it scrubbing the shower, though we did that for most of last year (our first cleaning service only worked out for a few weeks). When we both started up work again this fall, we hired a new cleaning service to come twice a month, and the investment has made us (mostly me?) a lot saner. No longer do I carve out 4 hours of the weekend for cleaning, and lets face it, I haven't had 4 hours of the weekend to give since we started back at work, with our crazy fall

4.) A Nice Work Wardrobe 

Last weekend, I went on a shopping spree for nice work clothes. The trip paid off, and I came home with 2 pairs of shoes, 7 blouses, 2 cardigans, a sweater, and a pencil skirt for under $500.00. By shopping sales and opening store credit cards to save extra (worth it if you know you can pay it off immediately and avoid interest charges), I got a lot for the money. Having some nice, new things to wear to work makes me feel more confident, and more energized to get up, get dressed, and get out the door. Too often, we only spend money on "fun" clothes, neglecting the part of our wardrobe we wear Monday-Friday. What followed my shopping spree was closet organization 101, so I can easily see and access what I have to wear. I know these purchases will last me a long time, so I was happy to make them.

5.) Travel 

You're only young once! And while you're free of obligations and healthy, make sure to get out and enjoy this big world we're a part of. Be there for your friend's weddings, spend holidays with family, go visit friends in faraway lands. You might have to make tough choices sometimes about which trips you can and cannot afford to make, and for sure you have to be realistic (My rule: If I can't pay it off immediately on my credit card and avoid interest, it's not something I can afford), but travel when you can without feeling guilty about it. Book as far in advance as possible to score the best flight deals. 

Hope this list helps you prioritize your future purchases! 

Want something free? Leave me a comment and enter my GIVEAWAY to win a free copy of Tina Fey's hilarious book Bossypants

Happy spending!
<3 S, B, L&Z 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...