A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Small Successes

I had a good day today, but it's not that anything so remarkable happened, it was just my attitude about the everyday normal stuff.

When my alarm went off at 6am, I managed to sleep for 20 minutes through snooze...oops, I had to shower fast and rush out the door, but I didn't feel frazzled by it. I enjoyed my 45 minute drive to work and didn't worry about anything. I sang along with the radio and watched the sun come up.

After successfully navigating 60 students through library tours (with the help of the librarian), I answered about 30 student emails and graded a few papers. Then, I drove back home to meet a friend for lunch.

Brendan and I hit the grocery store, a task I usually find annoying thanks to our overcrowded HEB, the one good grocery store in town, but today, I didn't mind it at all. I loved all the fall selection: tons of apples and big pumpkins. I felt relieved when we stocked up, and not even perturbed that we had to go to the gym so late.

When the weight room was crowded, I wasn't bothered in the slightest, and instead, took the opportunity to ask for some much needed help with my lifting.

When we got home, I was tired, but I folded laundry while Brendan prepped dinner, and then took over dinner while he showered. I even called my Dad just to check in. After dinner, we had a dishwasher to unload, and a sink full of dishes, but it all got done.

I watched a little TV and graded a few more papers. When I was burnt out, I stopped. I didn't grade enough, but it will do, and I'm not in the mood to overly push myself; after all, I've graded 115 of these and there's only so much one person can do in a day.

It was a good day. I didn't let anything damper my mood, and I didn't worry about all the to-dos. Somehow, they all got done. I only have the energy left over to write these simple sentences...but you get the idea. Celebrate the small successes, right? Your days and weeks will go by regardless, so you might as well have a good outlook on even the "to do list days," days where it's all you can do to get the basics taken care of.

From the number of typos in this post, I can tell I'm exhausted, so goodnight blog readers!

Here's to starting tomorrow with the right mind set.
<3 S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...