A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Unplanned Weekend

We've had a crazy fall, and the semester is only 1/2 way over. In 8 weeks, we've had 2 different weekend visits with out of town friends (Tony & Erica), been to Philadelphia for a wedding, I flew to Austin to see my family, I was a bridesmaid in a wedding in upstate New York, and we traveled to New Mexico together to celebrate two years of dating. Up next, a trip to San Antonio for a conference (in 2.5 weeks), followed by celebrating Thanksgiving in Austin with my family (in 4.5 weeks). Those will be our last two trips before Fall semester ends, so, in the coming weeks, we're finally getting some much needed weekend downtime.

So, this weekend, we made very specific plans: we made no plans.

The result? A perfect weekend. We've graded, worked out, seen movies, read for fun, watched football, cooked tons, caught up with family, and I finally logged some very important writing hours (even staying up until after 3am last night to finish a draft--it felt good). We've been productive, and even wasted some time too. Sometimes, you just need the unplanned weekend. Make no plans, and see where it goes. If you're anything like us, you will find it truly refreshing.

Life gets too hectic. To-do lists get made and never finished, there is always someone to see and some place to be, but sometimes, you just have to give yourself permission to see where things go, instead of trying to control what happens. I feel like I was surprisingly productive, but also way more relaxed. It's getting to that "crunch point" in the semester as we head into week 9 tomorrow. Brendan and I go into pure paper grading frenzy survival mode. I'm a little frightened, but I know I'll deal with it as it comes, and luckily, there will be two more weekends following this one to refuel.

Here's to your next unplanned weekend! Up next: We might try the unplugged weekend.
<3 S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...