A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving all! I am writing from Austin, where Brendan and I are with my family today. We have the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on, I made 3 pies last night (thanks for peeling the apples, Bren!) and Graham has his turkey, which has been been brining in beer for the past 18 hours, ready to cook.

It's a good day. And what better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than by giving thanks? I have a LOT to be thankful for.

I am thankful to live in the USA. I feel hopeful about the future, our future. I love that we are a country that stand by one another, and I truly feel united to all people here. We have to work together, respect one another, and treat each other equally, and we will continue to be an amazing country.

I am thankful that I have found full time employment at Howard College. I love going to work everyday. The classroom is truly one of my favorite places to be. My students continuously make me smile with their unique personalities, the questions they ask, and the approaches they take. I am working with 160 high school students this semester; as dual credit students, they are very dedicated, and I appreciate that. I also am thankful for all of my co-workers, who are really fun, nice people and who have helped me adjust to my new workplace.

As a full time employee, I have secured my own health care. It feels very good to say I am the primary member (after 26 years of being the dependent). Tomorrow, I am going for my routine eye exam, and I feel thankful that these necessary yearly appointments are covered. I think everyone should have the option for needed care. I am thankful for my good health in general. This is something that is too easy to take for granted, and I try to constantly remind myself how lucky we are that everyone is healthy. I am thankful that I can workout and take care of myself.

I am thankful that our incomes let us contribute to causes that we feel are important. Check out the left side of the blog under "Charities and Organizations We Support" for links to more information. I am also relieved that with two full time jobs, Brendan and I are able to weather the rising cost of living in Midland. 

Speaking of Midland, I am thankful for all of my friends there. This year, I am hosting a girl's Christmas party, and I actually have a lot of friends to invite. That is a really nice feeling. I'm thankful for the lunch dates, the couple's dinners, the outings out, the parties, for yoga classes with friends...all of our friends make Midland a home. We are also grateful for all of our forever friends: the people that have stuck by us for a long time now and always will. We feel truly lucky to have so many friendships.

I am very grateful for our families in Texas and Connecticut (and other states as well). Being with my Austin family right now makes me SO happy. I have missed them a lot. Next year, Brendan and I's two families become one, and I could think of nothing that will make me happier (other than marrying Brendan). In Brendan's family, I've found so much love and support, and I definitely feel at home there. I am looking forward to my first Christmas with them next month. I also am so happy to have the opportunity to know Brendan's grandparents. I only have one grandparent left, and miss the others dearly, so it is very special to spend time with Brendan's grandparents.

I am thankful for Lola and Zoe. Those crazy cats make life way more fun and cuddly.

Finally, I am thankful for my wonderful, amazing fiance, Brendan, who is truly the love of my life. We've been engaged for 6 months today, and I can't wait to marry him in 225 days! You are my world, Bren, and simply put, I love you and am so happy that I found you in this big world.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
<3 S, B, L&Z (and the Austin Family)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...