A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, November 19, 2012

Mini Week

This is a mini week for me. I am working tomorrow, and then off for the rest of the week. Brendan finishes Wednesday at noon, and then, we are hitting the road for sweet home (one of the many) Austin, Texas. It is about a 5.5 hour drive (325 miles...actually further than Lake Charles to Austin).

I am pretty homesick, and very much ready to see my family. Still, I've been trying to make the most of my time in Midland: Paper grading frenzy, working out everyday, and staying on top of household tasks.

My friend Corley shared this life skill with me, and I find it useful. She said, everyday, set 3 goals for yourself. I have tried this by dividing goals into something for me, something for my family, and something for work. 
Today, my goals looked like this:
Something for me: Yoga class.
Something for my family: Made Brendan this early in the day, so he could eat a proper dinner before leaving to teach his night class.
Something for work: Going to grade more tonight...the faster my students get their essays back, the better (for them).

I like this "mini objectives" exercise. Also, I like thinking of working out as "something for me." Mentally framing it that way makes it seem like a privilege, not a chore.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. My brother Graham is heading up the initiative to cook the meal from scratch. Other than spending time together, we don't have any grand plans. Thanksgiving will just be the 5 of us and 2 family friends. It should be pretty quiet and relaxing. We never participate in Black Friday events. I do not enjoy crowds and feel very sorry for the employees forced to work these events. I know the point of it is that businesses what to start turning a profit, but I'm just not THAT desperate for a deal. Plus, people DIE every year at Black Friday events...it's mania!

What about you? What does your Thanksgiving entail? Do you shop on Black Friday?

Here's to your (hopefully) mini week!
<3 S, B, L&Z

2 comments:

  1. Always feel special when I'm mentioned in your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw :) You are a big part of my life, so I mention you lots! Love you BFF!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...