A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, May 10, 2013

Crossing the Finish Line

Goodbye 2012-2013 school year; we are done.

It was an exhausting, wild, and well worth it year. Never have I been so exhausted after turning in grades, but I also feel very fulfilled. This year was a gift: some great students, great experiences, and learning a lot of new things. I will miss it, and at the same time, I'm in need of rest and rejuvenation. I slept for 11 hours last night...it was amazing. 

I don't think it has hit us yet that we're about to cross the finish line. After our respective graduations at 7pm tonight, we are moving to summer schedule. Eating pizza on our balcony last night, we said nothing about summer. I think we were both just processing everything that's happened since we returned from Vegas. This was one of the fastest weeks of my life, but also one of the busiest. I'm just beginning to start to think about what I want to do this summer (in addition to getting married and honeymooning). 

I know a few things. I'm dying to return to reading for fun and writing. I want to do more work on my paper for this year's SCMLA. I want to dive in to organizing our apartment and make some trips to Goodwill. I want to spend time with Brendan: watch some movies, cook together, and just hang out. I want to snuggle and play with Lola and Zoe more (they have both been in my lap ever since I woke up 3 hours ago). I want to plan for the Fall semester: sit down and look at what works and what doesn't. I want to just "stay in," and I want to swim at our apartment pool. I want time to do yoga and my weight lifting workouts. I want some time to just "be."

Crossing the finish line is a day full of promise: at the beginning of it, you think of all the things you want summer to be, at the end of it, you watch some awesome young people earn a degree and begin whatever chapter is next for them. In a way, everyone (faculty, students, staff) hits a reset button, and in that time, anything feels possible. 

This is why I love academia and why I can't ever see myself leaving it: I love fresh starts. A job that gives me 3 a year? Sign me up. 

We hope your weekend brings rest, relaxation, and fresh starts! As for ours, we know it will be a good one. My mom and cousin are coming in from Austin tonight, and my friend Emily is coming from Lubbock, for my bridal shower tomorrow. I cannot wait to see them. 

Happy Friday! 
<3 S, B, L&Z 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...