A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Our Engagement Year

It seems hard to believe, but true: a year ago today, I said "yes" to spending my life with my best friend.

But it's still 44 days until we say "I do!" :)

I made him breakfast this morning to celebrate.


On the menu was farmer's market eggs, gingerbread pancakes from Kerbey Lane mix, and mimosas made from a leftover bottle of bridal shower champagne; a great way to start out the day.

And what a year we had to celebrate...many great things have happened since May 22, 2012. We've traveled tons, witnessed 4 weddings, planned our own wedding, made it through another successful school year, started planning for our future together, and loved one another through all the ups and downs that life has thrown our way.

If there's one thing our engagement year has taught me, it is that there is no such thing as "easy" or "having life figured out." Picking the person you want to spend all of your days with won't make the days any less chaotic or crazy, and that's okay.

So we've been engaged a year, with a little over 6 weeks left until the wedding. I think we're at the point where it is hard to wait, but I'm glad we had the whole year to figure everything out and give our friends and family time to make travel arrangements. We've had a ton of parties (engagement, couple's shower, bridal shower, and coming up bachelor/bachelorette), and it has been really nice to celebrate with everyone we love this year.

With the majority of American couples taking 13-18 months, and the average American engagement at 15 months, our 13.5 month engagement isn't out of the ordinary, but we've both reached that SO ready to be married point...and that's probably a good way to feel right now!

We took the year to start doing some important things, like starting a savings account. We've surpassed every goal that we had for ourselves, and that makes me proud knowing we can do it. We've also had a lot of important conversations about the future, as we try to sync our visions into one vision. Brendan doesn't really believe in deciding on much in advance, but for someone with that philosophy, he's engaged in a lot of conversations with me about "what ifs" (my favorite kind of conversation).

It's been a wonderful, spectacular 365 days, and now, my main goal is to enjoy the next 44. I don't want to wish them away, and I think I've done a great job of living in the present this year, but I'm just so excited to gather with the people we love and officially take our vows.


 Can't wait to say "I do," Bren...no matter how hectic the next 44 days are, just remember that! :)
<3 S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...