A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Back: The First Days of the Semester

Brendan and I managed to successfully navigate our way through the first days of the semester. After over 15 weeks outside of the classroom, it's always a little strange going back: there's the struggle to wake up early, forgetting how to use classroom technology, and the process of learning all those new names. However, seeing the students and their first day excitement always puts me in a great mood. There is so much promise at the beginning of the semester, and I'm especially looking forward to the courses I'm teaching.

I'll be teaching at 8am five days a week this semester, as I took on some overload, and while this is new to me, I'm eager to see if I will be more productive when waking up early each day. Stay tuned.

The semester starting also means adjustments need to be made. I need to go to bed earlier and eat more throughout the day to stay energized. I need to figure out when I'm going to squeeze in those workouts. And finally, I need to reconcile that I don't have much longer to prepare for that fall conference.

Lately, I've found myself incredibly tired, hungry, and thirsty. Brendan sums it up: "My throat hurts, my stomach hurts, I'm tired, I have a mild headache." Such is readjusting to teaching. One may not think of teaching as a physically demanding job (certainly, there are more labor intensive jobs), but teaching requires being on your feet, talking (a lot!), and being really energetic first thing in the morning. It takes a lot out of you.

Thankfully, there is Labor Day, which always allows us to ease into the Fall semester. Brendan and I will be taking our first camping trip since April 2011 over this long weekend. Back in 2011, we went with some friends and used their gear. All this time, we haven't had our own camping stuff, until we were gifted it all as wedding presents. I'm looking forward to this fun reward for making it through my first week back!

Good luck to all of our teacher friends...we predict this will feel easier...in about 3 weeks. Hang in there!

<S, B, L&Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...