A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hooray For MAY!

Happy May everyone! May is one of my favorite months, and I'm sure just about everyone on the college calendar system agrees: there is something magical about the excitement that is in the air on campus.

The weather is also nice...though we have some 99 degree predictions in our upcoming forecast, today was nice and cool (though a bit dusty!).

My month started out really nicely. I was surprised today at the End of Year Awards Ceremony when I was announced the recipient of the Jerry Mills Professional Development Award, an award to help a faculty member with professional development related travel. I'll be using mine to help to go to a conference in Orlando, FL in the fall. I was very honored and grateful to be chosen.

As the semester nears its end, Brendan and I are both feeling "burnt out." We're looking forward to the weekend, even if it will mostly entail grading. Graduation is next Friday, and it's hard to believe I've been at MC for one year now. It has been such an incredibly busy and full year, and even though there is always more I wish I had accomplished, I feel like I made great strides this year both in the projects I was undertaking and as a teacher. I still have a lot to learn and a lot of ways that I can grow and improve, but I don't think it would be as much fun if I had it all figured out ;)

I'm going to miss some of the classes that I've had this semester. I have some great students who have worked incredibly hard on their research projects. They tell me that they have learned a lot and really pushed themselves beyond what they thought they were capable of, but I feel like I've learned so much from them. Teaching is funny that way. The end of the semester always has me reflecting on what a joy teaching can be...sure, there is struggle too, but that is the same with anything worthwhile, right?

I'm cooking a big pot of chili right now and looking forward to Brendan getting home from teaching so we can share it.

I'm also planning to hang out with these two:



Happy May and Happy Almost Weekend Everyone!
<3




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...