A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Weekend Home

This weekend was my last weekend at home for a couple of weeks, as I will be in Orlando next weekend and Boston the weekend after that.

I made the most of it. Friday, after Brendan made dinner, we watched a documentary about the making of Nightmare on Elm Street called Never Sleep Again (a fun watch for NOES fans, but way too long...we stopped less than halfway through). We also watched slasher film You're Next this weekend (only okay, not great). Guess I'm in a horror movie mood for Halloween! Saturday, I made us breakfast, we visited the house (update coming tomorrow), and I worked on my paper for the Orlando conference. Saturday night, we visited with friends Jennifer and Mike, and Jennifer made us a delicious dinner of red curry and a fabulous apple crisp dessert. I also got about twenty hours of sleep this weekend. It was amazing.

This morning, Brendan made us apple dutch babies:


I finished my paper, Brendan read it and gave me notes, and I did all my revisions, plus, I started laundry and made us dinner: BBQ baked tofu, plus beets, and a side of butternut squash fries.


Making these butternut squash fries was easy: I preheated the oven to 425 degrees, Brendan cut a large butternut squash in half, we saved half, and he peeled the other half, scooped out the middle, and cut it into strips. In a large zip lock bag, I mixed about 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon each of salt, pepper, and cinnamon, and then I added the squash strips, sealed the bag, and moved them around until coated. Then, I put the strips flat on a cookie sheet and baked them for 30 minutes, using a spatula to flip them over every 10 minutes. The result? They taste just as good as sweet potato fries!
Total prep and cook time: 35 minutes.
Deliciousness Factor: 5 out of 5 stars: they taste super good and are certainly more healthy than regular french fries!

We also gave to two great causes this weekend. The first was the West Texas Food Bank. Did you know that each dollar donated can make one full meal for a hungry fellow Midlander? With the holidays coming up, it was important to us to think of our neighbors that won't have a meal to eat without the services of WTFB. The second cause was for the son of a friend of a friend. 18 month-old little boy, Radley, was diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia a few days ago. We were happy to give a little to help his family with the expenses of chemotherapy. Please keep Radley in your thoughts and prayers.

Now, time to finish my laundry and rest up before Monday. Waking up early tomorrow is going to be hard. But knowing I'll be in the most magical place on earth in less than 72 hours will make it a little easier!

Here's to that!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...