A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, November 15, 2014

I did it! 4th 5K day!

I felt insane when I realized I had scheduled a 5K (Face the Race) for the first weekend in three weekends that I would be in town. As I mentioned, Midland had a recent cold front, and my training plans went out the window with my trip to Florida 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, so these factors made me unenthusiastic, but there was one motivation stronger than all the deterrents: we had already paid for the race!

With my mind made up that I wasn't skipping, I set my Saturday alarm for 7:00am. Lola had other ideas and woke me up at 6:00am. It was 36 degrees. I ate an English muffin with peanut butter, hydrated, and made sure my iPod was charged. I dressed in running shorts, multiple layers on top, a band to cover my ears, gloves, and sunglasses. It all seemed like a good choice...my legs were numb the first mile or so, but they warmed up as Brendan promised. Brendan decided to run with me, which was cool. He wanted to pace me and help me beat my previous best time. I kept pace really well on my own (despite having to pass around lots of walking traffic) and listened to my Ipod but had a really tough last 0.5 mile. Brendan didn't let me walk though and kept reminding me how close we were. So much of running is mental. I know things were feeling worse than they really were, but I really wanted to slow down, and I was arguing with him (I'm so stubborn!). The cold wind in my face when we made the second to final turn was not helping, and there were no mile markers, so it was hard to tell just how far the finish was. The bottom of my foot had a blister, which didn't help matters either. But Brendan had the watch and assured me I could beat the time if I just pulled ahead, so I gave it my all at the end.

I ended up beating my personal record by 10 seconds, which was awesome. I was in better shape in March 2013 too, so it feels like a big accomplishment to beat that time. I came in at 35 minutes, 28 seconds with an 11 minute 25 second pace. I placed 7 out of 14 in my age group. Afterwards, I was very tired and very ready for breakfast. Brendan said he was proud. 

We had a good time, and the race benefits self esteem programs for local junior high girls. Many of the girls ran in tutus and glitter today. It was pretty cute! This is cute too: 

I love my husband :) 
We met a co-worker for after race breakfast, and then we checked on our house (update coming tomorrow). I'm feeling a day on the couch for the rest of the day (I am already sore). I have no plans other than movies and magazines. Happy Saturday! 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...