A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, March 27, 2015

It's the Weekend Baby!

The most needed weekend of our semester has arrived!

Though we normally have time to grade on Thursdays, I filled in for a missing tutor yesterday, and we hosted the induction ceremony for the club we advise together last night. The induction ceremony takes a lot out of us: there are invitations to send, programs to make, food to buy, supplies to order from the national office, and the list goes on. However, it is one of the most rewarding days of our semester. The 40 students involved collectively contributed 198 hours of community service to the club, campus, and city, all related to reading and writing. They tutored people of all ages, read to the blind, worked at public libraries and assisted teachers in preschool and elementary classrooms. These students are pretty awesome, and we are lucky to be a part of their lives. 

The Vice President and President attended the ceremony and volunteered some funds for the club, so that is awesome. We have a super supportive community and just today picked up 20 free tickets to take them to a local production of west side story in April. Pretty cool! 

Anyway, needless to say, I had to stay at work late today to finish grading American literature essays, but now that that's done, I'm feeling awesome...well except for the fact that I'm running a 5K tomorrow that I didn't train for. Life gets in the way of my ideas about how I will prep for races! I'm not too mad at myself because this semester has been nuts with moving, not having internet, and with the house needing several warranty covered visits for small repairs (nothing serious but just the builder being hasty and neglecting certain tasks that should have been attended to before we moved in). Luckily, we should have internet Monday (fingers crossed). 

I'm so happy about the upcoming weekend and the beautiful weather we've been having. Easter vacation makes next week super short too, so all is right in the world! 

Happy Friday night! I got a sweet potato, green beans, and sour gummy worms with my name on them! 
<3
S&B and L&Z 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...