A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Don't Skip It! (Your Workout)

I know I've written before about when and why I've skipped workouts; sometimes I am totally fine with my decision to take a rest day, but usually the best solution is to stick to my workout plan. Today, I did not feel like working out, but I knew that I should go anyway. How have I learned to tell the difference? Here are my reasons for NOT skipping it.

Don't skip it if...

You've already paid for the class...
Workout classes are a MAJOR, and I mean major, motivation for me. One primary reason for this is that I will NOT skip something I have paid for unless one of these things happens: I have an illness that includes a fever or is bad enough to require a doctor visit, I feel driving conditions are dangerous, or I have an obligation at work that I cannot get out of. I've been doing my yoga classes for 3 years now, and I can think of maybe one class I have skipped for each of these reasons in that time. Other than that, I'm there. Picture yourself flushing the cost of the class down the literal toilet. Yes, it sounds ridiculous, but when I see those dollars being flushed away in my mind, my butt is in class!

You can't make it up, REASONABLY, later in the week... 
At the beginning of the week, I like to map out my workout plans in my life planner.  If I end up wanting to skip a workout, I think about whether or not I could fit in that workout somewhere else. Obviously, the workout has to be able to fit reasonably. If your make up workout would involve doing two workouts in one day or going to an 8:30AM Saturday class when you know you aren't likely to wake up for it, then do not skip your original workout.

Your heart is at least 30% in it...
I know this is impossible to measure, but when I skip workouts, I'm about 10% into it (and 90% not). If I can be at least 30% committed to the idea of working out, it is enough to get me out the door and to the gym, and 9 times out of 10 that will turn into a great workout.

You're hungry...
I can think of times I have literally taken a "peanut butter lollipop" (Take a spoon, dip it in peanut butter, eat it) in the car on the way to the gym. Sometimes you are feeling a lack of motivation because you really need some extra calories for energy.

You're tired...
Exception: I literally got less than four hours of sleep last night. Otherwise, I would go. It usually makes me feel MORE energized to workout.

You're overwhelmed with work/what you have to do around the house...
Those things can move down on the priority list for one hour while you take care of your health. Often, working out gives me the energy I need to grade a few papers and clean the kitchen. But if those things wait until tomorrow? Not the end of the world. Whereas, if I make skipping a workout a pattern, I ultimately wouldn't be as healthy and happy, and that would be a bigger issue.

You can think of at least 3 reasons the workout would be beneficial...
That is usually enough right there to convince myself that I need to go to the gym. I think about how good I will feel after, how the workout is helping me reach X goals, and I remind myself of one area I know I'm improving in.

Something social or fun comes up...
I've gone to many a gathering in my sweaty workout clothes. Put deodorant in your car. Wipe your face with a towel. A birthday dinner or drinks with friends is NOT a good excuse for missing a workout. Meet up with your friends later.

Skip it if...(a guilt free list)
You are injured in a way that a workout could aggravate. See a doctor before doing anything.
You are sick enough to need medical attention *Allergies or common colds shouldn't stop you though.
Weather has made driving conditions in your area dangerous (This happened to me once this past semester...the school canceled all after-school activities, so I played it safe and stayed home).
Your heart is only about 10% there, and you know that you can and will be able to make up your workout.
You got less than 4 hours of sleep last night. I'm pretty sure it's dangerous to workout while sleep deprived.

I hope my personal checklist is of help to you. I know it certainly has (and still does) helped me to reach fitness goals. See below where I was all smiles after my fastest ever 5K :)

November 2014
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...