A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, May 4, 2015

"Last" of the Mondays + Sesame Curry with Peas and Sweet Potatoes

Greetings from my Monday evening. I titled this post the "last" of the Mondays because today will be the last time that Monday has normal Monday connotations for me until August 17th.

Can you tell that I am ready for summer?

I will be teaching a spring interim course during the month of May, attending some trainings at school, and working on one of my online courses. Thus, May is not 100% summer, but I will not have to wake up early anymore, and, to me, that makes all the difference in my mood.

A few great things happened today:
1.) Honor cords arrived for our student group---they will be featured in the graduation program and asked to stand at graduation this year. Getting the cords in on time was a HUGE relief.
2.) I got a call from my mimi! She told me about a better way to make biscuits. I can't wait to  try it!
3.) I showed up to yoga class and no one else was there; thus, I got a one on one lesson, and it was soooooo helpful. My chaturanga will never be the same! We also had time to review the treacherous headstand!
4.) I heard Madonna's "Holiday" on the way home. It reminded me of being a kid with my Aunt Lisa (mom's sister). She would pick me up in her Z3 BMW nicknamed "insanity," and we could do whatever I wanted. This usually involved some combination of the following: picking up Sonic and swimming OR picking up chicken tenders from Cheddars, going to see a scary movie, or shopping. I was definitely one spoiled niece. The song brought me back. Good times! PS--If you are looking for  a scary movie, try Babadook streaming on Netflix. So scary!
5.) I thought Brendan was planning to throw something easy together for dinner, since groceries have not been purchased since last Saturday, but he prepared this amazing dish. Since I usually am terrible about forgetting to put his delicious creations on the blog, I quickly typed it up for you.

Sesame Curry with Peas and Sweet Potatoes 
Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 diced onion
4 diced cloves of garlic
1 diced habanero pepper
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 can green peas
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can of white kidney beans
1/3 cup tahini
2 cups of vegetable broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium sweet potato
2 bay leaves
1 stick cinnamon
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoons Tandoori masala
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
Green onion (optional)

Directions:
1.) Prepare the rice
2.) In a wok or large pot, saute onions, garlic, ginger, and pepper in the butter for 3 minutes on medium heat.
3.) Reduce heat to low. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, tumeric, and 1 tablespoon of the Tandoori and coat the vegetables in the spices.
4.) Stir in tahini, can of diced tomatoes, honey, vinegar, and 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Simmer.
5.) Microwave sweet potato for 4 minutes or par boil it. Slice it into thick wedges. When cool, dust with 1 tablespoon tandoor and salt and pepper to taste.
6.) Heat vegetable oil on high heat in a separate skillet.
7.) Fry the sweet potato in the oil (on both sides). This should take about 3 minutes per side.
8.) When potatoes are crispy, add beans and peas to the wok from step 2.
9.) Continue to add vegetable broth to the wok as needed.
10.) Before serving, mix the potatoes into the wok.
11.)  Serve over rice with green onions to garnish (optional).

Result:


Deliciousness Factor: 4.5 out of 5 stars. This dinner tasted amazing. I would eat it again and again and again! The texture and spice level is just so perfect. It is pretty healthy but tastes decadent!
Total Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes

*Brendan wants you all to know that dictating the recipes is hard for him; he just throws in whatever he wants to and doesn't see the need for a recipe.
**I want you all to know that I will NEVER cook that way. I need an EXACT formula. Make this like chemistry class without the goggles and low grades.

I hope everyone's Monday had a good ending!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...