A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, September 28, 2015

Working Through Monday Blues

Greetings world!

It's Monday again. Last night, I was having some serious "the weekend is over" blues. We had a good weekend. We said our goodbyes to one friend at a going away party on Friday, went to another friend's birthday party on Saturday, and got dinner and drinks with another friend on Sunday. I worked out on both Saturday (barre) and Sunday (yoga), bringing my grand total of workouts to six for last week (at the same time, I ate french fries and drank margaritas this weekend, just to be honest!) Anyway, the weekend really went too fast, and I was sad.

Instead of being sad, I should have combated my Monday blues with some tried and true tricks to make myself happier. Here are my suggestions if the end of the weekend is tough for you as well!

End the Weekend Happily 

Anytime I spend my time mourning the end of the weekend, I always regret it. Instead, I find it better to make the most of Sunday evening. Do something special for dinner (we typically make dinner at home, but going out could be a nice treat too), play a game with the family, or watch something funny on Netflix--Arrested Development always seems to improve my mood. Take some time to appreciate all the great things that happened rather than focus on the fact that your weekend is almost over.

Prep for the Week 
A messy kitchen, unkempt house, and nothing to eat are all things that will create bad Monday morning mojo for me. Straightening up before bed and thinking about what I will make for breakfast and lunch is a good use of Sunday night time.

I usually make Brendan and I both egg sandwiches on Monday morning. The process is frightfully easy. In the toaster oven, I toast two English muffins. In a shallow bowl, I microwave one egg for 30 seconds, top it with a little bit of shredded cheese, and microwave it for another 15 seconds. I remove the egg from a bowl with a fork and place it on the muffin. I repeat the process for the second egg sandwich. I have almost NO time to eat on Monday, so a filling breakfast is a must.

I also tried packing a salad for lunch today, and I loved it. A small Tupperware container is perfect for keeping your dressing in. Since I often do not have any downtime to eat lunch on Mondays, a salad is the perfect solution, since it does not need to stay hot to be enjoyed. Mine today had spinach, granny smith apples, celery, walnuts, dried cranberries, and bleu cheese. I used Ken's Steakhouse Lite Apple Cider Vinaigrette. YUM!

Create a to-do List
Often, my feelings of Monday blues can mostly be attributed to feeling anxious about how much I need to get done. If I think about it all together, it is totally overwhelming, but if I sit down with my planner, make a to-do list for work, and pre-plan out workouts, I feel instantly more relaxed and calm about start the week ahead.

Find a Positive Monday Morning Mantra
This is cheesy, but it really helps me.
Here are some of my favorites:
"The only way out is through!"--this one is stolen from my mom.
"I've had MUCH more challenging days than this. I can do it!"
"I can be a positive part of someone's day today. I will help someone."
"It will all get done."
"I have everything I need within me." --this one from my yoga teacher, Jessica.

Indeed, it did all get done...before I knew it, everything on my to-do list was checked off. I even had some unexpected cool experiences, like helping a student with her college admission essays. Today was a reminder that I need never dread Monday again. The only thing that would make it better is if I won this getaway weekend in Napa. My parents are on a cruise right now, and I'm pretty envious!

I'm off for some much deserved Netflix watching!
Have a great Monday night everyone.
<3




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...