A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Half Time + Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

Happy Sunday Funday, everyone! This weekend marks our "half time," as we are exactly halfway through the semester. My flex course (8 week course) is finished, and final grades were submitted on Friday. It seems impossible to believe, but I'm starting a new class tomorrow morning and giving a midterm in my 16 week class. This past week, I have graded: 62 essays, 53 quizzes, 20 discussion board submissions, and 32 lab assignments; I'm also 7 pages into writing a paper of my own. Brendan spent about 30 hours designing an online course and graded 20 essays this week. Needless to say, we are mentally exhausted.

I'm also physically exhausted. I have been faithful to my current workout plan of working out 5-6 times a week, every week, for 11 weeks now (though I missed one week back when I was sick in week 2 of the semester). As a result, I am sore every day, but I feel great. I'm proud of myself for sticking with it, even when work gets busy and stressful. Overall, I'm really loving my current routine, and I'm appreciating my body for all it can do. I've definitely found this regular routine to be a key to my happiness.

As a result of my increased workouts, I'm really working on increasing my protein (which is hard in a mostly vegetarian diet). Brendan made us breakfast today around 10am, and at lunchtime, we were both grading, so I blended us Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothies. At 261 calories and 23 grams of protein per smoothie, they make for a good and easy meal replacement.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie 
Here is the recipe for 1 serving:
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 scoop protein powder (we use Bluebonnet Chocolate Whey Protein)
1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 frozen banana
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup ice
Blend until smooth.
It takes 5 minutes to make, and it tastes like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. In other words, it's amazing.

Here is the breakfast Brendan made:


And here are my grading buddies: 

I've actually had good grading luck lately: all of my flex students can move into 1301 (which has NEVER happened), and my latest round of papers revealed no late work, no plagiarism, and all grades of C or higher. I told you guys I had a good feeling about this semester, and I guess my instincts were right. Sometimes, you just get lucky! 

In other weekend news, we went to the drive in last night to see Crimson Peak. It wasn't Guillermo del Toro's best ever movie, but we both really enjoyed it. It has a gothic, fun setting, and the actors did exceptional work, (especially Mia Wasikowska and Jessica Chastain). I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. We stayed late for The Intern, which was so terrible it was entertaining. None of the characters felt like real people, but rather just representations of ideas. The screenwriting led to some cringe worthy "no one really acts this way" dialogue, and only two scenes of the entire movie were even funny. I don't know what went wrong here--Robert De Niro is cute and likable, but Anne Hathaway is just, once again, playing Anne Hathaway. With the exception of her performance in Les Miserables, I haven't seen her show any range, and this one is no exception. I give it 1.5 out of 5 stars. At least we only paid the price of one movie ticket and got to enjoy the swings!



Friday night (I'm going backwards here), Brendan made BBQ Tofu with potatoes and beans, and we shared a bottle of my favorite wine and watched Shark Tank and 20/20. 


Lately, all this stuff (cooking, drive in movies, work, and cleaning up around the house) is basically our weekend routine, but I honestly love it. The weeks are crazy, so it's nice to just slow down a little. We took a walk today, and it dawned on me that fall is really here. We did have highs of 90/91 this past week, but I think it's pretty safe to say that will be the last of the 90s. Today, it was 79 degrees and sunny. It was fun to get out in the neighborhood and see all of the changes and progress that the builders have made. Our subdivision looks so big now!

Well, I'm off to help Brendan with dinner and enjoy the last of the weekend (it goes too fast!) Wish me luck tomorrow as I start the new class; if it goes as fast as the first 8 weeks, I may need prayers too!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...