A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Best Ending to Break

Winter break made for an awesome month. While normally, we would have headed back to work last Monday, this year, we got an extra week (the semester will end a week later now), and it was much appreciated since it gave us time to unpack, straighten up the house, decompress, grocery shop, and get our acts (a little) together.

On Friday night, I brought out my new inspiralizer and Inspiralized cookbook. I started with two easy recipes: Spicy Jicama Strings (an imitation french fry recipe to be served with our veggie burgers) and the Cucumber Noodle Salad with Feta, Arugula and Red Wine Vinaigrette. Overall, there was a little bit of a learning curve with inspiralizer, but after watching several videos, I truly had the hang of it, and the recipes I have tried were all tasty and healthy. Getting back to eating salad everyday is something my body was truly looking forward to after the holidays, and the inspiralizer has made me "inspired" (get it?) to try new and fun salad recipes.


On Saturday morning, I attended barre class, and while I was gone, Brendan put together these open faced breakfast sandwiches using the leftover salad and hamburger buns. They were so good, and I felt so loved when I came home to this.


Then, Brendan and I ran errands. One of our errands was picking up loose leaf tea at Tea 2 Go here in Midland to use with the teapot and infuser that Brendan gave me for Christmas. We loved our experience, and we will definitely be back to refill our tins. We started with three flavors: Coconut Chai, Black Raspberries and Creme, and Prickly Pear. We have tried the first two I mentioned (I'm enjoying Chai now) and they are both great. This teapot is so cute, isn't it?


Last night, we worked together in the kitchen to pull off two more inspiralizer recipes: Apples with Shaved Asparagus, Gorgonzola, and Pecans Salad and Tofu Miso-Tahini Carrot Bowl. Both were delicious! I feel like I should mention here that this cookbook is not vegetarian, so there are recipes for meat eaters and vegetarians/vegans alike. I've never had anything like the main course. It was savory and definitely stepped up the flavor of baked tofu. 


After cleaning the kitchen, we played not one, not two, but three games of Ticket to Ride. I won the first two games and lost by only one point in the third game! We honestly had a blast drinking cocktails and playing board games. It was, in my opinion, the perfect Saturday night.

Today, we were lazy. We slept in, watched the White Christmas special of Black Mirror on Netflix (creepy, of course), did some laundry, and I cooked us a fabulous (if I do say so myself) dinner. I made this Meyer Lemon Fettuccine that I made two years ago (you see, my cousin Amanda gave me Meyer Lemons from my aunt Annette's backyard again).  This time, I used 1/2 pasta and 1/2 spiralized zucchini noodles. It sounds weird, but it was really good. I also made a huge salad with spring mix, watercress, baby arugula, strawberries, raspberries, spiralized granny smith apple, and shaved Cheshire cheese. One of Brendan's birthday gifts from his parents was a Zimmerman's cheese of the month club. The Cheshire cheese came from there, and we are about to enjoy a tiny bit of cheese as our dessert tonight. This was a GREAT GIFT, and I highly recommend it as an idea for any cheese lover in your life.

Well, tomorrow, it is back to work at 8am. That is going to be hard since I have been sleeping until 9am and getting out of bed around 10am lately (I know, go grab your tiny violins). I am sad to see winter break end, but at the same time, I am looking forward to everything that the new semester will bring. We won't have students this week, so in many ways, this first week back is weird because being with them gives me so much energy and motivation, and without them, I don't feel at all like myself at work. However, I think this week will go by very fast.

We hope your weekend was restful, relaxing, fun, tasty, and everything that you wanted it to be.
<3

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...