A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, January 18, 2016

Skiing at Ski Apache in Ruidoso, NM

Happy Martin Luther King day, everyone!


Brendan and I are appreciative of this day of rest after a busy weekend skiing with friends in Ruidoso, NM.

We left Midland on Friday and made it to Ruidoso in time for dinner at Cafe Rio:


The pizza was delicious and warm, but outside, it was snowing.


Our friends arrived shortly after we got back from dinner, and we played Settlers of Catan until after midnight (guess who won...me!)

On Saturday, we were up so early for a day of skiing. We had six people and one four wheel drive vehicle, so when we saw a sign saying "Tire Chains needed," this is what happened:

Kevin, Brendan, Wendy, Me, Kristen
Not pictured: Alex, our fearless driver.

We made it to Ski Apache by opening, but it took an hour to get everyone's lift tickets and equipment rentals. By 10:00am, we were skiing (PS--thanks for our family friend, Libba, for loaning us some ski apparel. We haven't bitten the bullet to buy our own!)

Kristen, Alex, Kevin, Wendy, Brendan, Me

Overall, it was a great day. The staff was not prepared for the holiday weekend crowds and could have been faster with getting lift tickets to us that were all pre-paid and dealing with the lunch crowds. Plus, a couple of lifts were mysteriously experiencing breakdowns in the middle of the day. However, I was impressed with how expedient the equipment return process was, and they gave free hot chocolate, so there's that.

We got in maybe 5.5 hours of skiing, since the last lifts were at 4pm, as the sun starts going down around that time. My favorite run was deep freeze, but unfortunately, skiing down apache bowl to get there was nearly impossible because of how deep the powder was due to a lot of recent snow. After a panic attack in which Brendan kindly stuck by my side reminding me I wasn't going to die, a snowboarder gave me the tip to lean back.This really helped me get through the power without simply sinking, and I started to relax, realizing that it wasn't, indeed, my last day on earth.


We survived, and after a full day of skiing, we all returned to the hotel, changed clothes, and went to dinner at Grace O'Malley's. Here is our brave crew:


All in all, it was a great weekend! We returned home yesterday and finished Star Wars, A New Hope and then watched The Empire Strikes Back. Today will entail grocery shopping and barre class (though I don't know how I will get through it, my calves are SO SORE), making dinner, and watching The Return of the Jedi.

Spring semester officially begins for our students tomorrow, though I won't meet mine until Wednesday.

I hope your MLK day is restful and reflective. While we have come so far in our battle for equality, we still have such a long way to go. Martin Luther King inspires me to never stay silent about issues that matter, and always speak up for people's rights.

Here is to being inspired to do better,
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...