A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, February 6, 2016

World's Most Amazing Hummus

When I was a teenager, my mom bought the infamous magic bullet (as seen on TV). One of the first things she made was hummus, and she was so proud of it.

"Isn't this hummus great?" she would say, and I, like most teenagers, couldn't even just give her this one thing.

"We could just buy hummus at the store" I said, crushing the part of my mom's soul that had just paid $39.99 for our very own magic bullet.

We all continued on in life, and years later, I married a hummus maker. What an awesome, novel concept I thought while enthusiastically eating his hummus. Then I thought, or is it really novel? 

Sorry, mom. It turns out, I just wasn't ready for the awesomeness that is homemade hummus. Brendan has been making it for over two years, but I forgot all about your efforts to convert me to homemade hummus back in the day. Now, this is one of our favorite Friday night dinners:



When we are tired from a long work week, there is nothing better than throwing some veggies in bowls and serving it around hummus dip for dinner. Last night's spread was more than we could actually eat, but it included: Pita Chips (HEB brand is the best), celery, cucumber, broccoli, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, four types of cheese (Parmesan, Cheshire, Raclette, Reading), and for dessert: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and two type of chocolate (dark with orange and dark with sea salt/almonds). I repeated the concept for lunch today, and it was so good.

Without further ado, here is Brendan's top secret (until now) hummus recipe. You will need:

1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cans chickpeas (reserve 1/4 cup liquid and drain the rest)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1-2 cloves garlic
salt (to taste)
Sumac (for topping)

Combine all ingredients, except for sumac, in a large bowl. Blend with an immersion blender (a blender or food processor would work as well). Don't over blend! A little lumpiness makes for the perfect texture. Sprinkle Sumac on top of the hummus. Enjoy!

Now you have the best Friday Night dinner secret IN THE WORLD, or a way to be the most popular person at tomorrow's Superbowl party.

Like me as a teenager, Zoe remains unimpressed:


Happy weekend!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...