A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, April 8, 2016

Laughing More

Greetings faithful readers!

I can sum up the stress of the week in the following sentence: Brendan is taking a nap right now. For those of you that know him, you know that is very atypical.

Honestly, this week wasn't the best. We were very overloaded at work, we had to manage some problems, and we're just having one of those weeks where nothing is easy or going our way (think internet outages at work, overpaying for plane tickets, cleaning service canceling--nothing "life or death," just little annoyances sprinkled into the already chaotic week).

After work today, we checked out the new location of Lori's Cafe. The new menu is great, and the service was wonderful, but it wasn't as cozy as the old Lori's, which used to be our go to breakfast spot. I think Lori's moving is definitely the end of an era.

At lunch, we talked about how we've both taken on so many new responsibilities at work, and how we need to find ways to be less consumed with our jobs 24/7. Brendan said "we need to laugh more," and I know he's right. We both have trouble just "letting it go," and sometimes, we hold ourselves to really unreasonable standards of what it is possible to do in one day. In the overwhelming parts of the semester, we often find ourselves talking about work non-stop. We agreed today that for the sake of our marriage and our sanity, we've got to make our evenings relaxing again (think: more music, less rehashing of the day's issues, more laughter, less anxiety and worry, more "I did the best I could" and less "I can't believe I didn't do X, Y, or Z yet.") I'll be updating you guys on how we are consciously seeking out joy in the coming weeks.

Until then, I will share with you that this blog post made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe, and it was a bright spot in a less than great week.

I gave myself a break this morning and did not attempt 6:00AM barre, since I was woken up by my phone around 3:00AM. That means, I'm off to do an at home yoga video for workout number eight of the month before leading the honor society induction ceremony with Brendan tonight. And I sincerely hope that once we leave school tonight, we can have a restful and fun weekend with some laughter. I know we certainly need it.

"April is the cruelest month" certainly rings true in academia, but everyone could use a reminder to laugh more, and I hope that, whatever it is you do, you give yourself permission to do just that.


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...