A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, May 9, 2016

May, So Far

Greetings faithful readers. After over a week, I owe you a blog update, and here it is. We've been wrapped up in end of semester grading lately. You know you're an English teacher when your weekend consists of grading 36 essays, and you feel relieved that you "only" have 94 to go (true story). At this time every year, I have many wishes; one of which is that I taught art. (I'm kidding) (Sort of).

Here's what we've been up to other than grading in the first week of May.

After working out every day in April, I had several night events at the beginning of May that lead to taking a break for three days. It was really nice to have a few days to recover, especially when work life is so hectic right now. Last Monday night, we enjoyed free tickets to the Rockhounds baseball game.


We enjoyed dinner in the park and watching the team win. It was a nice way to relax for a few hours. Thanks for the tickets, Chelsea!

Last Tuesday, I got my hair cut a little shorter for the hot summer ahead. That night, we were honored to join my friend Kristen at the friends and family museum opening for the Museum of the Southwest's new exhibit. If you live in Midland, I highly recommend checking out the new gallery space and exhibits at the public grand opening on Saturday, May 14th from 10AM-5PM. I won't give anything away, but I will say that I was incredibly proud of all my friends that work at the museum. They put so much hard work and care into designing the exhibit and new spaces, and it looks like a completely new museum.




My yoga class returned on Wednesday, and it was so good to be back (both to working out and to yoga). The class really helped me deal with turning off my thoughts about all that I have to get done and just relax. Afterwards, Kristen and I enjoyed pizza, salad, and wine night (always the best way to wind down Wednesday). 

On Thursday, I had someone else to be proud of when Brendan was presented with his five year service award. Brendan works so incredibly hard in his teaching career, and he sets very high standards for himself and is always focused (sometimes at the expense of his sanity) on what he could do better. Watching him interact with composition, literature, and creative writing students, seeing him tutor in the lab, attending the creative writing contests he organizes each year, and knowing how much he does for each committee he is on, to organize assessment, and to evaluate members of the philosophy and technical writing departments, makes me extremely proud. He has worked his tail off this year in the new promotion, and though he never stops to think of how much he has accomplished, I know that everyone at work, especially the students, appreciate him.

The photo is a little blurry because I had to zoom in so much.


This past weekend was a good one. On Friday, I called Mimi and received a good report: she has a private room at a rehab facility, and she has her caretakers continuing to visit her each day. Rehab is expected to take several weeks, but Mimi is in good spirits. That evening, we ate out at Thai House, and I got to watch Shark Tank and 20/20 (so obviously, the ideal Friday night!)

On Saturday, I spent the morning at barre, and we spent the afternoon grading; then, we went to Dagan and Steph's house to celebrate Steph's b-day. Hilarity ensued when we played Jenga (aka: Anxiety attack in a box). I literally screamed with relief after every turn that I did not destroy the tower. We played ladies against gentlemen, but sadly the ladies lost.



Sunday, we called our moms to wish them happy Mother's Day. We would have loved to be eating brunch with them, but a phone call had to suffice. Our moms are two of the most inspirational people in our lives. They are both so hard working in their careers, passionate about what they do, beautiful, funny, and smart to boot! We can't wait to see them and celebrate at a later date.


After our phone calls, we spent most of the day grading. Then, I made us this for dinner (hello eating leftovers and not having to cook this week!), we ate, took a walk around the neighborhood (it's fun to watch the progress of the construction), and watched Game of Thrones (of course).

All in all, it was a great weekend, but I slept terribly last night. My night was spent tossing and turning consumed by teacher nightmares (you know, the kind where you pass out the wrong final, the copier isn't working, etc). For some reason, these nightmares leave me more shaken than actually scary dreams! Maybe other teachers can relate? I woke up this morning and headed to school to give my first final. It went great (no technology problems, no students forgetting source packets, everyone on time, etc.), and I even managed to grade a few essays (only 87 more to go...yay).

For now, it's back to grading. This is a busy week, but on the other side lies...


In the meantime, I have these two to keep me company while grading:


Happy Monday :)
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...