A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Fast & Fresh Summer Dinners

Greetings faithful blog readers! I've been trying to teach my cats to scratch their scratching post if they want treats (which we used to just give them). It's not going well. You can't learn to teach an old cat new tricks on this blog, but you can get some new ideas for fast & fresh summer dinners, so hopefully, that makes up for it.

Summer crops are my favorite to eat, so I spend most of my days lately planning what to make for dinner, but like always, we appreciate fast fixings, so here's a few ideas of things you can put together in 30 minutes or less.

The current issue of Shape magazine (June 2016) has this taco recipe, which uses a can of white kidney beans and parsley and is topped with a slaw made up fennel and peaches mixed with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Brendan doesn't like peaches, so we replaced that with a melon (golden honeydew), and it was delightful. We put sriracha on them (of course) and served them with a side of "street corn" (mix cotija cheese, sour cream, lime juice, and a little light mayo and top with chili powder) and corn has never been so good! This Monday night dinner took us all of 30 minutes. It was simple but satisfying and had many of the fresh tastes of summer that I love. Plus, I got to make a smiley face on my plate (do you see it?)


Last night brought more street corn because HEB sold corn 8 for $1 this week, so obviously, we had to buy 8 ears. We paired it with purple potatoes (boiled and topped with butter and rosemary from our herb garden) and tomato/cucumber salad (cherry tomatoes halved with slices of cucumber emerged in red wine vinegar and topped with dill for our herb garden). Tip on the tomato/cucumber salad: save your leftover red wine vinegar in a jar. You can use it the next time you make a tomato/cucumber salad. Again, this dinner took no more than 30 minutes, and most of that time was spent just waiting for water to boil. 


A few hours after dinner, I made us this dessert plate to munch on while watching a movie on Netflix (we watched Hush, which was only okay). Cheese, berries, and chocolate: a good way to end any day! 


Tonight's dinner may only be easy if you have a cousin named Amanda that came to your house over Labor Day weekend, took over your food processor for a few hours, and made many batches of pesto using your garden basil for you to freeze. Luckily, I fall into that camp, so all I had to do tonight was slice some cherry tomatoes and boil pasta and make my favorite salad: spring mix, sliced strawberries, whole raspberries and blueberries, herb garden sweet mint, and goat cheese with Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette dressing (we buy it at HEB). Pesto can be purchased at the store though, so you too could make this dinner in under 30 minutes! 


I don't have a picture, but my favorite lunch lately is an avocado/tomato sandwich. I use multigrain bread from HEB, spread a little light mayo on it, slice half an avocado and most of a Roma tomato, top with salt and pepper, and enjoy my 5 minute lunch.

We hope your summer is delicious. I was planning a walk for tonight, but after a calm and incredibly hot day (we are already up to 104 here), we're having a thunder storm complete with heavy winds. I guess I'm in for the night. Happy evening everyone!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...