A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, July 1, 2016

Donate Your Birthday: 30

Greetings faithful blog readers!

I promised a blog post on this year's donate your birthday, and here it is albeit a little late. When I was 25, my mom told me about "donate your birthday." The concept is that, each year, you give your age in dollars to the charity of your choice. I'm a big promoter of the idea because if everyone that could afford to do it participated for each birthday, it would make a huge difference in bettering the world.

This year, I choose to "think globally, act locally," and I choose Safe Place of the Permian Basin. The organization helps provide shelter for women and children, a 24 hour emergency hotline, and intervention, support groups, and counseling services. Here are some facts about what services Safe Place provided in 2015 from their website:


  • "418 adults and children received 11,501 individual nights of shelter
  • 783 adults and children from around the Permian Basin received non-shelter services that included individual counseling, support group counseling, legal advocacy, education about the effects of family violence, community information and referral, and children's program services
  •  Safe Place advocates answered 1,602calls to the 24-hour hot line
  •  100 participants graduated from Project ADAM, the 24-week batterer's intervention program sponsored by Safe Place."
I also appreciate that Safe Place of the Permian Basin services fifteen counties, including Andrews, Borden, Crane, Dawson, Ector, Gaines, Glasscock, Howard, Loving, Martin, Midland, Reeves, Upton, Ward, and Winkler. 


Photo from Safe Place website

I think this organization makes a big difference to west Texas, and it gives hope to families affected by abuse. 

I encourage everyone to try Donate Your Birthday. It's a great way to give a little bit of good karma back to the world, and it's a positive tradition that I always look forward to every year. 

Here's to working together to make the world just a little better,
<3 





PS-Brendan and I arrived safely in Connecticut yesterday. We have been able to see both sets of grandparents as well as Brendan's parents and sister. I'll post some family pictures soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...