A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Friday, August 19, 2016

Soaking Up Summer

Greetings faithful blog readers. In the last week of summer, I'm just being weird full time. Okay, that's every week. Here's a look at the strange things I prioritized this week:

Priority #1: Movies 
Namibia doesn't have movie theaters, so we had some major catching up to do. Monday night, we headed to the drive in for a double feature: Secret Life of Pets and Jason Bourne. The first was delightful...the second was a chore. SPOILER ALERT: Jason Bourne's father didn't want him to be used as a human weapon. Listen, I may have spoiled that movie for you, but I really just prevented you from paying anything for that "secret." What kind of parent would be like "oh sure, make my son a human weapon!" THIS IS JUST NOT A SURPRISE, and there is no reason Julia Stiles should have died to let Jason Bourne know that his father actually valued his life beyond wanting him to be in vast danger All. The. Time. If you want a good secret, go see the animated movie about the pets.

Me smiling: before I saw Jason Bourne. 

On Tuesday, we took advantage of $5 Tuesday movies at Cinergy and saw Ghostbusters: Answer the Call. I'm behind on this, but it was a fun time. Today, we saw Kubo and the Two Strings, which I think I liked best of all the movies.

Priority #2: Food
It has been nice (and necessary for our waistlines) to cook dinners again after eating out so much this summer. We went to the farmer's market and have taken several grocery store trips to restock all our favorite things (we currently have four flavors of sparkling water if anyone's thirsty). I really must give all the credit to Brendan. He has made all the dinners this week, so I'm definitely cooking this weekend! I found Monday night's dinner especially tasty. I'll try to get him to recall the recipe he created.

Priority #3: Fitness
I went to barre class three times and spin class twice this week. We also took long walks on three different days. Brendan went on three runs this week. Overall, we're getting back into our grove and trying to drop the added pounds of vacation weight.

Priority #4: Netflix's Stranger Things 
We watched all eight episodes of Stranger Things this week, and it was amazing. It felt very Stephen King to me, though Stephen King was not involved. If you like supernatural and scary but not gory horror, you will love this show. It also reminded me of the film Super 8. It's good; just watch it! For those that have already seen the show, Dustin is my favorite character. I love that kid!

Priority #5: Unpacking
It took us basically a week to unpack, but finally the suitcases are emptied...is it just me, or is packing way more fun than unpacking?

Priority #6: The Yard 
Again, I have to give Brendan all the credit here. He has done a lot of work in the yard since we returned. I helped clear off the patio and pull some weeds, but he has been out there many more hours. I'm really happy with the progress we made this spring. A post coming soon showing the fruits of our labors.

Priority #7: Laziness 
I've really been indulging my lazy tendencies this week. I got a mani/pedi, enjoyed long phone calls with a couple of friends, downloaded a new book on my Kindle, read magazines, and slept in whenever I could. There were times I felt I should have done something more productive, but it's back to the real world on Monday, and I probably won't regret my lazy day memories when they're in the distant past.

If you need us this weekend, we'll be soaking up the last of summer. I hope everyone has a good one!

<3



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...