A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Saturday, November 12, 2016

SCMLA With People We Love

Greetings faithful blog readers,

It's been a tough week for me. As a teacher, I want to instill the future generation with tolerance, empathy for fellow men and women, and beliefs in our American values like equality, freedom of speech and religion, and love for fellow Americans. The country is divided, many, including myself, are heartbroken, and I'm left trying to stay strong and continue to practice what I believe in. One quote that is getting me through these hours is Martin Luther King Jr.'s: "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that; hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." May Americans continue to love and shine light. I pledge to be active in doing my part to protect freedoms for all and to continue to fight for everyone's best interest: our country is a collection of people, and I hope we can find common understanding. I, too, will work to do that.

Last week, Brendan and I were participating in SCMLA, our favorite conference, with some of our favorite people. This was my seventh year presenting at the conference and Brendan's fifth year. McNeese had a HUGE group of attendees this year from multiple generations of the program, and it was amazing, to say the least, to meet new people and be among some of our best friends. This group has supported us through some of our best and worst times, and we couldn't love them more: May we all have friends that we can say that of.


Dallas was a fun city, and we especially loved hanging out in the Deep Ellum area. Here were some of the highlights:

Drinks at double wide (pictured above): this bar had indoor and outdoor seating with a trailer park theme.
Sushi at Deep Sushi: quite good and hit the spot for my craving!
Drinks at Black Swan Saloon: recommended by three friends in Midland, this place did not disappoint. The cocktails were so fancy; I don't know what exactly I drank, but it was delicious!



Dinner at the Woolworth near the eye sculpture. The food was absolutely outstanding (fancy comfort food), and my favorite of the trip. Don't miss the Mac and Cheese appetizer, the truffle fries, and the grilled cheese and tomato bisque.


The conference kept us too busy to explore Dallas too much, but I did get a chance to go shopping at Buffalo Exchange and have lunch at a nearby cafe. I picked up two pairs of jeans and two dresses for $100, so it was a shopping trip success. 

Of course, we couldn't leave Dallas without seeing our friends that have relocated to Frisco, the Lellis family. We met up in Addison at Ida Claire's for a delicious brunch (the Bloody Mary's and vegetarian frittata were the best). 

Miss these girls! 
We headed home last Saturday and had a day to catch up on work before diving into another busy week. This past week was so crazy that a relaxing weekend at home is just what I need. I cannot believe we only have one more full week of school before our shortened Thanksgiving week arrives. I feel behind, but I'll make it work. 

In the happiest news of this week, this happened. I am honored to be a finalist in PANK Magazine's Fiction Chapbook contest; it means so much coming from a publication that means so much to me. Roxane Gay published my first short story, and I'll always love and enjoy reading PANK. 

Happy weekend everyone. May we all find rest and restoration this weekend. 
<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...