A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, July 3, 2017

Donate Your Birthday: 31

Greetings faithful blog readers,

I needed some time to get my birthday donations in order, but I'm really excited about the organizations I choose this year. If you haven't been following along, the idea behind donate your birthday is giving your age in dollars to a charity each year. Brendan and I donate to many charities throughout the year, but I love "donate your birthday" because it's workable for people in many different income brackets, and I think giving a little something back it's a great way to celebrate another trip around the sun.

About a year and a half ago, I mentioned that Midland College hosted Dr. Donna Beegle for poverty awareness training. Out of that training came many great innovations on our campus, and one of them was the Save Our Students (SOS) Fund. The idea of this fund is that sometimes students need a financial helping hand whether it be for gas, groceries, or to pay an essential bill. One thing I love about working at Midland College is that we really have the means to make sure students aren't being left behind because of financial need. Our counseling support staff is excellent and has found housing for students in emergency situations and made sure they had other essential resources. I donated $31 in honor of my birthday, but I plan to donate more throughout the year to a cause that reduces barriers to education right here in west Texas. If you are interested in donating, you can click here, select "other program" from the drop down menu, and type in "Save Our Students Fund."

After we returned from New Mexico, I received a letter in the mail from one of my past donate your birthday picks, West Texas Food Bank. They wrote that the Wayne and Jo Ann Moore Charitable Foundation had agreed to match all gifts up to $75,000 (this is running until August 31st or until $75,000 is donated). The summer is a really tough time for families in food insecure households because some children are on free/reduced breakfast/lunch, so school being out for summer can really create a strain. At West Texas Food Bank, every dollar spent creates FOUR meals for someone in need. I donated another $31 dollars to this charity (which turned into $62 thanks to donation matching or 248 meals!) If you are interested in donating to West Texas Food Bank and having your donation matched, you can do so here.

This community has given so much to us, and I'm glad that we can give a little to it in return. If you donate your birthday, leave a comment and let us know what organization you picked. I'm always in search of excellent charities and causes to support, and you can check out my favorites on the lefthand side of the blog.

<3





*L&Z still in Austin, but we see them TOMORROW!

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work! Craig Stoker - West Texas Food Bank

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...