A BLOG ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING

Monday, August 14, 2017

Austin + Home + Kristen & Alex Tie the Knot

Greetings faithful blog readers!

What a week it has been since I last checked in. My thoughts are with those affected by senseless violence this week. I appreciated the ideas presented in this article "How To Take a Stand Against Hate in Virginia." When feeling helpless, it is important to remember what power we do have to support one another.

When I last left off, we'd made it back to Austin last Friday. Thanks to our Cape Air caused delay and horrible Austin traffic, by the time we got home to my parents' house, it was almost 1AM. We were annoyed, but with the amount of travel we do, we almost just expect days like this (and it makes us more grateful for the travel days that go according to plan).

We went to sleep immediately (after greeting Lola & Zoe of course) and then took my dad to Trudy's the next morning to thank him for coming to the airport at midnight to pick us up. Then, we headed over to my cousins Amanda and Matt's new place. They are renting a house that my mom owns, so it's great for my mom to have such wonderful tenants. It was fun to see how the house has changed (my brother lived there a few years ago).

I was lucky that my hair stylist (Peyton at Bob Salon) could work me in for a last minute Saturday appointment (I missed my original appointment thanks to our massive delay on Friday). After getting my hair done, Brendan and I treated my parents to dinner at Brick Oven for my mom's belated birthday. Then, I pretty much insisted we all go see The Wizard of Oz at Zilker Hillside theater. We arrived at 7:45 and managed to find a spot about halfway up the hill to squeeze into. It was a great production, and I was so glad Brendan and my mom indulged me (and my dad dropped us off and picked us up, so not worrying about parking was awesome).


The next day, Brendan and I went to breakfast with my parents and then packed up the car and the cats. It was tough to say goodbye, but we had a whole host of to-do items on our list, and we were eager to get home. 

My Amazon delivery of Lindsay Hunter's new novel Eat Only When You're Hungry arrived shortly after I did. I'm proud to report that I finished it yesterday and now I can highly recommend this road trip novel about a man searching for his son who is battling a drug addiction. Touching, honest, and a true portrait of what it means to love someone you don't have control over (including yourself), I would recommend this book to anyone. 


The real reason we were in such a rush to get home was because I was hosting a bachelorette party/lingerie shower for my dear friend Kristen on Thursday. 

Kristen and I have been friends for six years. We first met in a yoga class at a gym, and she quickly became a good friend and introduced me to all her coworkers/friends too. When Kristen & Alex got engaged in the spring, I immediately told her I wanted to throw this party. 

We started out with manis and pedis. There were six of us there total, and our friend Jessica got the party started early with champagne. 



Then, we went to my house to make dinner together, open presents, and play the popular lips & mustaches game from my shower (which I reused at Amanda's shower and thankfully, Amanda still had the lips and mustaches!) 

I love playing hostess whenever I get a chance, and we had so much fun cooking, talking, and toasting with rose. 



Nothing Bundt Cakes is my go to for any celebration that needs a cake, and their lemon cake didn't disappoint! 


We met up with more friends at The Blue Door for drinks later.


The next night, Brendan and I were honored to attend the rehearsal dinner at La Bodega. We got to hear all the speeches, and it started to sink in that Kristen was moving to Seattle on Sunday! 


The Saturday wedding was at Beal Park with an indoor reception and plenty of lawn games. It was great to see my friend so happy, even though I'll miss her dearly. 


I also got to reunite with several other friends that have moved away and came back in town for the wedding!


Last night, Brendan and I went to Odessa to watch Game of Thrones with our friends Dagan and Steph. 

Our first week back in Midland was all about the wedding, and this next week, we're busy today helping to show a new faculty member around campus, and we'll meet up with him and his wife again tonight for dinner. We have one more week of summer and too much to get done (laundry, housework, class prep, revisions, etc.) but knowing us, we will make the most of our last week of summer. 

Happy Monday everyone! 

<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...