Monday, September 17, 2018

One Day in My Life

Greetings faithful blog readers,

Back in the day, I used to regularly read several blogs where the writers would do "day in the life" posts. I always enjoyed reading them but also found them kind of cheesy. My day to day life is so different than it used to be though, so I thought it'd be fun to write one up. I know one day I'll enjoy looking back on this sweet and tiring time. Before I had Willa, it seemed impossible to me that I could manage a baby on top of everything, and yet, it quickly becomes simply the norm. I'm not good at taking pictures all day, so you'll have to use your imagination. Here goes my first ever day in the life post.

3AM--Lola wakes me up by scratching the chair in our room. I don't even open my eyes since I know who is to blame. I get her to stop and go back to sleep.

5AM-Willa wakes up and is hungry. Brendan changes her diaper, and I nurse her in bed. She kicks while nursing, and Zoe plays a game pawing at her feet gently. It's really cute and makes up for my 3AM wake up. I put Willa back in her bassinet and fall asleep.

6AM-The alarm goes off. Brendan knows that even though I say I want to get up, I don't really. He gets up and lets me snooze.

6:45AM-Brendan brings me coffee. I get up and drink it and pour myself some granola.

7AM-the reality that snoozing was a bad idea hits me. I now have an hour and a half to do all the things. Luckily, Brendan agrees to make me a sandwich. I defrost milk and get Willa's bottles ready for daycare before getting in the shower.

7:30AM-Willa is up. I brush my teeth, put on lotion and foundation, and put in my contacts before getting her changed and dressed. My hair is wet, and I am only wearing underwear. I nurse her and Brendan leaves for work.

8AM-I put Willa in the Mamaroo so I can load up the car, feed the cats, and pump. I put on clothes and realize my hair still looks completely soaked. I blow dry for one minute and put on pearls hoping this will make me look put together. You know what? I think it's pretty effective!

8:33AM- We are in the car. No traffic today. I am parking at daycare by 8:40AM. I feel like I have this down!

8:45AM-I drop off Willa and her carseat and unload her bottles and realize I forgot the sandwich that Brendan lovingly made me at home in the fridge. I feel very sad as I realize I have to make it until 4PM with a cheese stick and a yogurt and a package of peanut butter crackers. Oh life.

9AM-I teach my American Lit II class. We talk about "The Open Boat." I love my lit classes. Those hours just fly by.

10AM-I'm in the Language Hub for tutoring. Co-worker feels sorry for me and gives me a package of Bevita. Alright!

11AM-I'm back in the classroom. This time, I'm teaching Comp I. I've assembled a master outline from group work my students completed on Friday, and we're going over it. The technology in the classroom is having issues, so I need to rush through my lesson in 40 minutes to give the IT people 10 minutes to help my students with their MS Office 365 log ins. We're behind because of the technology issues, so I'm a little stressed.

12PM-I call the daycare. Willa is awake. Score! I use a 30 minute break I left in my schedule to go nurse her.

12:30PM-2PM. I head back to the office and eat the Bevita on the way. Once I get there, I eat my yogurt and cheese stick while catching up on emails. I manage to finish grading journals for the literature class. I do a lot of random tasks. I am haunted the entire time by the nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something important.

2PM-Back to the writing center for another hour of tutoring. It's early in the semester, so it's not that busy, but I do help some students with technology issues. Fun fact: "Use Chrome instead of Explorer" solves like 90% of problems students have.

3PM-Head to the faculty senate meeting. Can't help but participate. Get assigned to a committee. Why do I do this to myself?

4PM-Arrive home. Brendan picked up Willa after his workout and is unloading the dishwasher. I love that man! I change Willa and nurse her. Then I put her in the mamaroo and pump for 15 minutes. Then we play on the floor some and read a book.

5PM-Willa is cranky. Brendan gets dinner in the oven and gets in the shower. I nurse her to sleep. She will nap at home, but only if one of us is holding her. I don't know how daycare gets her to nap in a crib (but they do). Brendan calls his grandma to wish her a happy birthday. I check stuff on my phone while Willa naps.

5:30PM-Willa is up! We call Brendan's sister to wish her a happy birthday (yes, they have the same birthday) and keep Willa entertained by playing on the floor.

6PM-We eat dinner and entertain Willa in her rock and play. Brendan baked a loaf of bread and made skillet ratatouille. I thought he was picking an "easy recipe" and cannot believe that baking a loaf of bread is what he considers easy. Easy to me is like a box of mac and cheese. The house smells wonderful.

6:30PM-Brendan cleans the kitchen. I nurse Willa and respond to a couple of work emails. She is getting wiggly and easily distractible, so emailing is not ideal, but it has to get done. I change her, and we load her into the stroller.

7PM--We go on a walk around the neighborhood. The sunset is full of gorgeous pinks and oranges. The weather is a cool 81 degrees. I love fall here! Willa falls asleep. We check our mailbox on the way home. My $5 Pampers reward coupon arrives. Everything else is junk.

7:45PM--Brendan takes care of some yard work, and I give Willa a bath and get her ready for bed.

8:15-8:45PM--I nurse Willa and lie with her until she falls asleep. Then, I move her to the bassinet.

9PM--I eat ice cream, look at Facebook, send some emails, and type this post all while lounging on the couch. It's glorious! Lola and Zoe hang out with me and purr.

10:30PM--getting ready for bed; the cats erupt into a hissing fight. Lola licks the ice cream bowl. Sigh. Hoping I'll fall asleep before 11PM.

Goodnight world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...